Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn Key Virtual Organ Suppliers

Turn Key Virtual Organ Suppliers

I have been researching the possibility of getting a virtual organ(VO) for my home. I really do not want to build my own, but would prefer a turn key solution.

In searching the internet, I have found a few people who will custom build a VO, but are there any other businesses with a US presence that offer a complete package? Some posters in other threads have alluded to such folks, but they have not provided specifics. I am aware that Johannus has just come out with their Live model, and that is the type of solution I am seeking. Are there similar offerings from other businesses that have a US/North American presence?

It occurs to me that I am probably not the only person who would prefer this approach rather than attempting to cobble something together.

Things I would like to know:

1. Firms who offer a complete VO.
    2. Pros and Cons to their offerings, if you know.
    3. Any personal experience you may have had with them.
    4. General idea of cost. I realize that dealers do not like this sort of information publicized, but ranges would be acceptable.

I would be grateful for any information this august group can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by voet View Post
    I have been researching the possibility of getting a virtual organ(VO) for my home. I really do not want to build my own, but would prefer a turn key solution.

In searching the internet, I have found a few people who will custom build a VO, but are there any other businesses with a US presence that offer a complete package? Some posters in other threads have alluded to such folks, but they have not provided specifics. I am aware that Johannus has just come out with their Live model, and that is the type of solution I am seeking. Are there similar offerings from other businesses that have a US/North American presence?
    When you think about it a turn key VPO (virtual pipe organ) is a fully or semi custom work of the Virtual Organ builders art. You're going to pay. $15K minimum for something the average organist would want to play (2M/2? ranks) and $25K minimum for something I would want to play (3M/5?+ ranks). What is your reservation with the Johannus? Is it just that you want more options to consider? Martin Digital should have something. Classic MIDI Works are based in Canada but I daresay the bulk of their business is with the U.S. There are others. Just about any concern that is involved in some way with VPO technology can either build or find you a builder of a turn-key VPO.

Magnus USA
    Encore Organ
    OrganTechnology
    Martin Digital Organs

Are just a few that come up on a simple Google search.

Phoenix Organs, although they have their own technology, will build organs around the Hauptwerk VPO platform, as do most of the VPO builders above.

While this forum is great, you are asking a question better answered on the forum at hauptwerk.com. You will find a number of threads and comments about VPO builders.

I appreciate all of the above responses. Thanks for your assistance. Previously I had done some Google searches and found some of the names offered. However, in other contexts I have found that Google sometimes omits sources. Part of the issue can be knowing what to search on, but Google also "optimizes" search results based on factors that may eliminate legitimate contenders.

I purposely came to this forum, because I am at the beginning stage of my quest. Hauptwerk certainly has a great deal to offer, and I may end up with their product, but I did not want prematurely edit out other options.

Quote Originally Posted by voet View Post
    I purposely came to this forum, because I am at the beginning stage of my quest. Hauptwerk certainly has a great deal to offer, and I may end up with their product, but I did not want prematurely edit out other options.
    Just to clarify, Hauptwerk can be thought of as an 'operating system' for virtual organs. Many different concerns can build a virtual organ for you, but almost to a one, it will be Hauptwerk that they have optimized their projects to run with. Essentially you are shopping between Dell, Gateway, Hewlett-Packard or Lenovo, but all of them are trying to sell you a Windows computer. The concerns the Admin listed in post #3 are all building Hauptwerk organs. Each has its own approach to the design and finish of the console and its appointments, but the 'soul' of all their disparate efforts is the Hauptwerk 'operating system'. I hope this helps.

That is very helpful. Thanks for your input,

1 members found this post helpful.
    VPO's are very big in Europe. And along with the numbers, some of them are in impressively large and creatively ornate consoles with a dramatic appearance. This site has quite an array of photos of home and institutional installations. Here's a link to one page of home organs - there are several more pages linked above the top photo on each page: http://www.pcorgan.com/Fotos3EN.html
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Hello. I am the US distributor for Magnus, and would love to discuss what options we could offer. Let me know if you want some information!
    Bryan
    =================
    Magnus Europa, 4 manuals, 112 stops - church sanctuary
    Hauptwerk 3 manual, converted from Rodgers 330 - home
    Rodgers Allegiant 677- church chapel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast