Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Strange results with new 6550 tubes

1 members found this post helpful.
    I will assume (it's been a long thread, and I forget many of the details) that the box with two switches is not being used on this organ, and perhaps the 6 Pin Leslie Connector on the mounting plate isn't either. If such is the case, the 6122 board connections should be as follows:

J4 Pin 5 to preamp G terminal

J4 Pin 4 to preamp second G terminal (or ground if there is no second G terminal)

J4 Pin 6 to ground (make sure that the terminal you are using is actually connected to something)

J3 Pin 1 to one side of the speed switch (SPST switch)

J3 Pin 2 to the other side of the speed switch (switch open = slow, closed = fast)

J2 Pin 1 to Leslie Connector Pin 1 (Audio - balanced - with "phantom power" for speed switching)

J2 Pin 6 to Leslie Connector Pin 5 (B+ from the amp)

J2 Pin 2 to Leslie Connector Pin 6 (Audio - balanced - with "phantom power" for speed switching)

J2 Pin 3 to Leslie Connector Pin 2 (Ground)

AC Blue to Leslie Connector Pin 3

AC Gray to Leslie Connector Pin 4

(Someone please check my work)

Ok, Thanks.

I will check those voltages and then get into the organ and identify the kit. The cable is brand new (goff).

I've got to do a little homework here, as I haven't done anything with these parts yet.

JH

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks too Tim,

More homework, I'm going to look all this stuff up.

I'm sure I'll be back soon with questions.

Maybe this is the home stretch.

I don't know if this could have anything to do with anything but there is another switching device on the console. It says "Benson Bass"; It has an on/off switch and a fast/slow switch. I'm guessing it has something to do with the foot base? (I do not have the foot pedals installed.

Ok, I checked those voltages with the B+ cut off. Voltage across OC3 is 106.8; Voltage at OC3 pin 2 (where 470 ohm connects) is now 330VDC (was 325). Voltage at Amphenol Pins 1 and 6 is near zero. Voltages on pins 3 and 4 of 6550s is 429/ 319 for drop of 110 (was 122).

Going into the console to figure out the connection kit today.

So, what Ive got is a 428-13. It looks like it matches the schematic in the "122 switching" part of the Benton article. And, I definitely found a problem. Jiggling the wires screwed to the outside terminals (what is supposed to be the red and black twisted input wires) was making the sound cut out. I opened up the wire to find the red and black insulation on the wires is completely disintegrated. It basically disappeared as I pealed the covering back just leaving the two bare wires twisted around each other. So clearly, that needs to be replaced. I will also replace the AC wire while I'm at it.

I hope this is it.

Thanks All (especially Jyvolpabo) for the help. I gotta order these cables, so it will be a while, but I'll let you know how it goes.

JH

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234