Thread: Hammond M3 Jammed Tone Generator

Question Hammond M3 Jammed Tone Generator

I got my hands on a Hammond M3 for $50 a little while ago and I've been trying to get it in working condition. Electronics seem good, all the tubes light up, and starting motor runs and engages the TWG shaft but the generator won't turn. If I try to turn the TWG shaft by hand (with the flywheel's springs detached) it will spin maybe 10 to 20 degrees in either direction but then will not turn any more except back the way it came. It feels some hard object is stopping something from spinning down the line somewhere.

When I got it, it seemed like it hadn't been oiled in a while. I oiled it quite a bit and tried a naphtha flush but the TWG shaft still won't spin.

Anybody have any ideas what the issue might be?

You can read endless threads here already to solve this problem. Do you know about oiling? At the very least, follow the oiling instructions on the back plate, using Hammond Oil, or as a debated substitute, pharma grade mineral oil. In a warm environment, this could take hours, days, or weeks to seep along the many many cotton threads inside reaching every bearing. If this organ has been oiled with the wrong oil, like olive oil, motor oil, etc, you will have to apply naphtha first to flush all the threads and bearings, reoil generously, and then reassess where you are at.
    Larry K
    Princeton, IL

Hammond BV+DR-20, Mathushek Square piano from 1934
    Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

I have oiled generously with hammond oil, waited weeks, oiled again generously, waited weeks and still no luck. Then I did the naphtha flush and re-oiled with hammond oil but have only waited a few days. I will give it some more time post-naptha and see what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by blugatchtube View Post
    I have oiled generously with hammond oil, waited weeks, oiled again generously, waited weeks and still no luck. Then I did the naphtha flush and re-oiled with hammond oil but have only waited a few days. I will give it some more time post-naptha and see what it's like.
    There was a thread yesterday about this.
    Sounds like you may need to lift the TG and oil it from underneath.
    This is easy on the M3. Unbolt the TG (4 bolts underneath) then unclamp the wire harness to allow movement, then you can lift the TG and hit all the bearings with oil or WD40 from underneath. Sounds like you may already have enough oil in there.
    DO NOT try to rotate the main shaft sections that spring back too far. There are several spring couplings along the length of the shaft, and if you force it you can break a spring. That would be very bad.
    Try to rotate just the stuck sections first, then the whole thing to make sure all the tonewheels are turning.

This is what the TG looks like inside:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qqmr6IiFLE

Bob
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.
    '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
    H-324/Series 10 TC
    '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
    Look at some of my rescues:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums