Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allen 2160A and Hauptwerk

Quote Originally Posted by NatePul View Post
    Is the schematic saying there should be a 20k resistor connecting the two wires at the end as well?
    Yes it is. It's to insure that the summing network is always seeing a minimum load impedance.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Well, I have my parts ordered now, and I'll post up here what the finalized connection looks like.
    -475 ohm resistors
    -20k resistors
    -RCA cables to run from my computer's interface
    -Y cables to take apart to create summing cables
    -soldering iron (I used to have one, but it got misplaced )

I think I'm going to be using GrandOrgue instead of Hauptwerk, because you get the multi-channel outputs without having to pay hundreds of dollars, and the organs I have found still sound quite good (compared to the St. Annes Mosley which I would have been using). I have found a somewhat inexpensive interface for my computer that outputs two stereo RCA signals plus a headphone signal, so I'll be able to practice with headphones and also have more control over the output

The stuff should arrive Friday, so I'll get to work then

Unfortunately, I just found out today that I had shipped the 475 ohm resistors to the wrong address, so I won't have them till Monday. The rest of the stuff arrived, and I got a start with soldering in the 20k resistors. Monday will be a day off for me, so I'll have time with which to get everything assembled completely

So, I have gotten the resistors in the mail, and I soldered the summing cables together (4 of them, total).

Today I went to install them in the organ. After a bit of experimenting, I found that the cables that fed the mixer panel (numbers 1 to 6) were as follows:
    1: Half of the Great/Pedal stops
    2: Half of the Swell Stops
    3: the other half of the swell stops
    4: the other half of the Great/Pedal stops
    5: Alterable voice 2
    6: Alterable voice 1

Channels 1 and 4 were controlled by the Great/Pedal pedal and 2, 3, 5, and 6 were controlled by the Swell pedal.

I was surprised to see that though there were two channels per section, they were just mono connections that split stops equally among each cable.

Using this knowledge and my summing cables, I connected two outputs from my sound card to channels 1 and 4; the other two outputs went to channels 2 and 3.

Using the Skrzatusz Sanctuary Organ in GrandOrgue, I created 2 output groups: one labeled Swell, and the other Great/Pedal. I then set the stops to output to their respective output groups.

Now, I have my laptop sending audio through the organ's amplifier, and I have individual control over dynamics versus a "Master Volume Control" pedal.

-

I only have to fix one problem: when I am using an 8' stop in the pedal and press the low A, Bb, or B, there is this vibration from the speaker area that I would consider to be a bad sort of resonance. Everything else sounds fine and is a massive improvement over the organ's original sound (even the notes below A sound fine). Would this be best solved by placing and Equalizer in-line to lower the affected frequencies, or would speaker isolation be the best method (There are two speakers just sitting on a large wooden shelf hidden by a pipe fašade)?

Doesn't GO have some kind of built-in equalizer function? If so, just use the controls to slightly reduce the level of the frequency range that causes the vibration.

If GO doesn't have that kind of function, you might need to get a multi-band equalizer (15 band is good) and route the great/pedal signals through it on the way to the Allen inputs. Then you can locate the frequency band that is causing the undesirable resonance and turn it down a bit.

Congratulations on getting it set up so neatly. Obviously not every user can do as you have done, since many if not most users will only have the default two channel audio signal from their computer to work with and would not be able to divide the stops by division as you did.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12