Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MIDI for a 1920's Carillon

Thanks, Toodles.

I'll try the Schober Organ group and see what they have. Meanwhile, is there anyone else in cyberspace who can assist me from this point onwards?

To anyone out there [in cyberspace], I need your assistance.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that I was going to acquire a MIDI kit for my chimes - and I did: from a US software company called Artisan in Kenmore, USA.

The retrofit kit did arrive in today's mail delivery; but horror of horrors, there were no connecting/installation instructions in the box!

If anyone has such a kit fitted to his/her chimes, may I bother you to send me a copy of the instructions through the Forum via private message, please? I'm going to start work on fitting the kit tomorrow and would need the said directives to get started.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Charles Dubois; 01-29-2018 at 02:36 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
    I believe that the documentation for their products can be found on their website, but you're not likely to find detailed and specific instructions for a given application. There may be Forum members who can advise you on how to connect things. You might wish to start by posting what Artisan products you are referring to.

Should also point that posting your email address on the open Internet is an invitation to hackers and spammers. People can contact you through the Forum via private message or email without your personal information being revealed.

To Admin. Thanks for the tip. I've now edited my entry above to read just that!

I can't find the hookup instructions I need for the MIDI kit, so will have to rely on the goodwill of others to help me to surmount this problem.

Earlier in this thread, I attached images of the Schulmerich chimes that the MIDI kit is to be fitted to. It's all I have at this time, alas! ...

Perhaps I am missing something here. Why wouldn't you request the installation sheet directly from Artisan? The reason I ask that is that I'm looking for several MIDI boards and if they do not support the product they sell with appropriate documentation on the board I'm not likely to consider their product.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Quote Originally Posted by AllenAnalog View Post
    ... if they do not support the product they sell with appropriate documentation on the board I'm not likely to consider their product.
    Artisan provides copious amounts of information on their products via their website and will, of course, answer questions about hookup if you ask them. They do not, as far as I know, include a hookup diagram with each individual unit shipped--it would be redundant since most installations use multiples of the various items.

If Mr. Dubois will read the Admin's post, it asks him to post the Artisan model. If we had that, one of us could then find the reference on Artisan's site and advise him where to find it. But without a specific model, all I can really suggest is that he search on Artisan's site. As Admin indicates, Artisan probably can't provide specific hookup info for a given application (i.e., how to hook it up to a Chime-A-Tron) but just generic info (i.e., how their MIDI Output card can drive a generic load).

I suspect Mr. Dubois may needs step-by-step instructions--something he's not too likely to find.

That's quite right: I do need step-by-step installation instructions.

First, I have already looked through Artisan's website but can't ascertain which kit they supplied. All I know is this: what they sent me comprises of two PCB's (a ÁMIDI Controller and a Driver), a short length of connecting cable (presumably to connect both of these PCB's), and a small step-down [5V] mains transformer used for powering up the PCB's. (These came packed in a standard-issue USPS video box but not in an Artisan's product box.) I've come to the conclusion that Artisan uses a "mix n match" system for the various applications as their individual hardware is supplied "off the shelf" depending on requirements.

In addition, what I had to acquire from my local electronics hobby store are 25 relays, one for each actuator.

Second, I have also perused the emails for when I first contacted them, enquiring which of their kits they would supply for a chimes setup and hoping I can glean some info from there. I've since contacted them again and I'm still waiting.

So here I am, up the creek without a paddle in the meantime! Hence the SOS ...

But I'll see what happens now. This hanging around puts my restoration schedules on ice ..... Ah! such is life!
    Last edited by Charles Dubois; 01-30-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Hi everyone.

Well, would you believe it: I have just received the installation diagrams from Artisan; and it appears to be pretty straightforward [only if you know what you're looking at].

What they didn't supply was a PCB to accommodate the 25 relays required for the actuators. But that's not an insurmountable problem: I bought strip prototype boards from my local hobby electronics store and will use that to mount the solid state relays.

Will post the progress of the installation right here in this thread for anyone following this saga. I can forward the installation diagrams to anyone who is also contemplating MIDI-fying his chimes.
    Last edited by Charles Dubois; 01-30-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Hi there.

Does anyone know how to re-program a new MIDI channel for the Artisan MIDI retrofit kit? The MIDI channel on the Organ is different, which means that the chimes can't be played using the [Organ] keyboard.

Is there an on-line program I can download to enable me to do this?

Thanks if anyone can assist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123