Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Seeking a Organ for Home practice use

Dear Casavant Fan ~ Thank you for your post!!! It is so nice to know that there is someone else in a similar situation as me and can seemingly understand where I am coming from! I am at the very beginning stage of my search and do not even have any money saved up yet. My whole intent was to try and get some guidance from those who know far more than me about what I can reasonably expect to find and which brand of organ would give the most bang for the buck. I believe that without specifically defining my dream organ, it will be more difficult to save toward that dream organ. Perhaps by the time I have some money saved up, I may be able to afford a used Inspire 233, or even a Trillium 787i or perhaps even an Artist 599i. Maybe I will even be able to acquire a 3 manual instead of the 2 manuals that I've been looking at. I believe that if an organ is in my future, God will make a way. I rest on His provision, not only of the specific organ, but His timing and His financial resources.
    Last edited by swerd; 06-01-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: typos!
    sw

Quote Originally Posted by swerd View Post
    Yes, Dutchy, I started looking at them and found that they are primarily available in Europe and don't have as much of a presence in the U.S. People have said that it is difficult finding after sale care and parts. They have used their parts for fixing older analog organs no longer made (like AOB) and other European made organ brands where their parts were not available. Sounded like too much of a headache so I did not pursue them further. I'll take another look and see if they have established a U.S. presence since I last looked at them.
    Viscount may have a larger presence in the US than you think. You can find some info about support here:

https://www.organforum.com/forums/sh...hnical-Support

Quote Originally Posted by rjsilva View Post
    Viscount may have a larger presence in the US than you think. You can find some info about support here:

https://www.organforum.com/forums/sh...hnical-Support

Thanks rjsilva! I'll take a look!

sw

Swerd,
    What is your search radius (Salem, Portland, etc.)? How easily can you travel to try out organs (to confirm whether an AGO console will actually work)?

Have you seriously considered a VPO? Hauptwerk (and others) has several of the features you are looking for (bass and melody couplers, ability to modify a stoplist, tuning, or the samples used for different stops, etc.). If you already own a midi keyboard and a computer, try a few VPOs out and see if any can do what you want. (There are a lot of free sample sets that may have different capabilities, too).

It seems from some of your previous posts that an AGO console would be more comfortable for you despite your size and disabilities (seeing as the Allen you mentioned was non-AGO and everything more comfortable was AGO). Is that so? If that's the case, then your search can be based only on your required features and budget constraints (not on the limits of your disability). Most organs are built to AGO spec (or at least very close). So at least regarding fit, brand is irrelevant.

If an AGO console would work and finances are really tight, get an Allen MDS (or other fully midi capable used console) and set up a VPO with it (if you don't like the original stops and features). You might have to get someone to help get everything plugged in, but a midi capable system will not be hard for someone to set up. And, it can also be adjusted to be fully controlled by buttons, switches, etc. from the console. The MDS consoles are often less than $5000 currently (the two-manual tab consoles are often in the $2000 range) and full midi is standard. Plus a lot of the customization you seem to be looking for can be done on a VPO.

If an AGO console will not work, a Franken-organ (with VPO, if needed) might be the least expensive option even if you have to get someone to set it up for you. A Franken-organ would likely be a modified used console (with or without midi/VPO) and/or a modified bench. It could also be a VPO with separate manual and pedal midi controllers (which can be arranged however is most convenient).
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

Quote Originally Posted by samibe View Post
    Swerd,
    What is your search radius (Salem, Portland, etc.)? How easily can you travel to try out organs (to confirm whether an AGO console will actually work)?

Have you seriously considered a VPO? Hauptwerk (and others) has several of the features you are looking for (bass and melody couplers, ability to modify a stoplist, tuning, or the samples used for different stops, etc.). If you already own a midi keyboard and a computer, try a few VPOs out and see if any can do what you want. (There are a lot of free sample sets that may have different capabilities, too).

It seems from some of your previous posts that an AGO console would be more comfortable for you despite your size and disabilities (seeing as the Allen you mentioned was non-AGO and everything more comfortable was AGO). Is that so? If that's the case, then your search can be based only on your required features and budget constraints (not on the limits of your disability). Most organs are built to AGO spec (or at least very close). So at least regarding fit, brand is irrelevant.

If an AGO console would work and finances are really tight, get an Allen MDS (or other fully midi capable used console) and set up a VPO with it (if you don't like the original stops and features). You might have to get someone to help get everything plugged in, but a midi capable system will not be hard for someone to set up. And, it can also be adjusted to be fully controlled by buttons, switches, etc. from the console. The MDS consoles are often less than $5000 currently (the two-manual tab consoles are often in the $2000 range) and full midi is standard. Plus a lot of the customization you seem to be looking for can be done on a VPO.

If an AGO console will not work, a Franken-organ (with VPO, if needed) might be the least expensive option even if you have to get someone to set it up for you. A Franken-organ would likely be a modified used console (with or without midi/VPO) and/or a modified bench. It could also be a VPO with separate manual and pedal midi controllers (which can be arranged however is most convenient).
    Hi Samibe,

Yes, most of my experience has involved playing on AGO organs and I have had problems with non-AGO organs and have even had to have their consoles altered to make them usable for me!

You raised some very good points and I will consider them in making my final purchase considerations. Thank you so much for your thoughtful input. Please understand that I wasn't intending to come across as a sourpuss about my disabilities; rather, there were at times some who did not seem to understand how a former organist could still play with my limitations and that is when I may have come on a bit strong about my disabilities. As a rule, though, I don't like to wear my disabilities on my sleeve and strive to live as normal and independent life as I am able, with God's help, of course!

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge your thoughtful post and keen insights which I especially needed and requested. Thank you!

P.S.: I live in the greater Salem area and do not care to drive as far as Portland, unless I have to. Hence, I prefer to see what is available in my specific area and it is not much! I am also keeping an eye on Ebay, and will watch it even closer, once I have saved up some money! It's just that Ebay uses Pay-Pal almost exclusively and I have found that Pay-Pal is involved in a lot of hacking so I do not trust them If they would just let me use a recognized credit card or money order/traveler's check to effect the payment, I am okay with either.
    sw

Has anyone heard of the Viscount and Verdin organs? If so, what do you know about them? How customizable are they and what is their price range? I have prepared a two and three manual stop list for my dream organ. I would classify it under an American Eclectic variety and I don't need the stops organized and presented in any historical grouping of manufacturer-determined stops; rather, I would be happy with just having my particularly chosen stops on the console, but I would accept any library of additional stops the manufacturer would like to throw in accessible equally via my divisional MIDI stops. Are there any organ builders that would entertain such a concept? I have carefully reviewed everyone's inputs and contacted the various organ builders you have recommended heretofore. Your input is valued highly and they are very much appreciated and esteemed. I continue to remain open and most receptive to your expertise and contributions to my search. If I could locate a used organ that satisfied most of my wishes on my stop lists, that would be great too! If you are interested in what stops I have included in my dream 2 and 3 manual organs, I will provide them to you by sending your email to me

We do not allow personal email addresses on the forum, swerd. People can contact you via PM. Andy-Moderator
    Last edited by andyg; 06-11-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    sw

1 members found this post helpful.
    Depending on model and price range, the organs offered by Verdin are basically rebadged Content or Eminent, two very small companies in the Netherlands. From what I understand, R&D is not a strong point of either of these companies.

Quote Originally Posted by janvds View Post
    Depending on model and price range, the organs offered by Verdin are basically rebadged Content or Eminent, two very small companies in the Netherlands. From what I understand, R&D is not a strong point of either of these companies.
    Did you really mean to say "R&D"? Or did you mean some other attribute, because if you meant R&D, I would have to disagree. It takes three times the money in Allen or Rodgers dollars to get the kinds of performance available from the Dutch builders. Three times. The Dutch R&D is fantastic. But they do not tolerate physical or environmental abuse. They have to be handled with kid gloves. If you can do that, you will be able to accomplish far more, musically, than with an American instrument and at the end of the day that is what I want to do with an organ. It isn't furniture, it is a musical instrument. I need it to perform, not just look good or last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by janvds View Post
    ​Thank you for your insight and helpful background info on Verdin organs.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Leisesturm;480923]Did you really mean to say "R&D"? Or did you mean some other attribute, because if you meant R&D, I would have to disagree. It takes three times the money in Allen or Rodgers dollars to get the kinds of performance available from the Dutch builders. Three times. The Dutch R&D is fantastic. But they do not tolerate physical or environmental abuse. They have to be handled with kid gloves. If you can do that, you will be able to accomplish far more, musically, than with an American instrument and at the end of the day that is what I want to do with an organ. It isn't furniture, it is a musical instrument. I need it to perform, not just look good or last forever.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your frank information. I guess I'll concentrate my focus more on pursuing Viscount and other organ builders. I, too, believe an organ is first an instrument, but it is housed within furniture and I want something well-constructed that will last the test of time and grandkids without the worry of having to treat it with kid gloves all the time.
    sw

Yes, I did mean to say R&D, in other words, Research and Development.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718