Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking a Organ for Home practice use

Interesting. I didn't see a picture when I looked but obviously others did so I tried again. Ok. I see why you like it Ezra. Given what you 'could' spend for a 3M instrument... ... you'd have the bones of a really fine VPO if for some reason you couldn't abide the sound of the organ. They say they will accept offers. They just want to get rid of the thing. Keep that in mind.

H

ppp Pianississmo Ezra Tyler Reed's Avatar

I was able to see the picture, so I thought it might be a legitimate offer. I've contacted the seller and am waiting for some more info. It would make an ideal practice instrument if everything works, given its limited footprint thanks to the internal speakers.

In terms of moving any organ in the future, our church Deacons have approved my use of the church truck to haul just about anything, free of cost. Might have to pay some strapping young fellas to help me move it, though, haha. That should help to defray the overall cost of acquiring just about any instrument. Of course, I'll have to read up on proper moving procedures of organs.
    Church: Allen Protégé C-8c
    Home: Allen MDS-26 with MIDI Expander II

Gratefully serving the King of Kings on the King of Instruments.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Road Trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    Maybe one of the guys who knows more about Ahlborn will chime in and tell you exactly what it is and what kind of MIDI system it has.
    We have a fellow on the Forum whose moniker is Ahlborn. Try searching for him, and I would think he would almost certainly have some reliable information on this instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tyler Reed View Post
    Might have to pay some strapping young fellas to help me move it, though, haha. That should help to defray the overall cost of acquiring just about any instrument. Of course, I'll have to read up on proper moving procedures of organs.
    Ezra Tyler Reed! (Now you know you're in trouble--I used your middle name).

Haven't you ever heard the phrase, Will work for food?!!! All the strapping young fellas will need is 3 hots and a cot, and you have your ready-made crew for the road trip. At least Jacksonville is Northern Florida, and it should be a straight shot down I-75 to get it. Please keep us posted.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Hi John and others,

This organ is a variant of the Galanti Praeludium III. This particular organ may have been brought over from Germany as there are minor differences of where some pistons and toe studs are located. Also this one appears to have internal audio, which the organs distributed in North America did not have. The clue will be whether the name says Galanti on it or Ahlborn. It is first generation digital from Galanti/ GeneralMusic.

If the organ is in good working order, it may be worthwhile to seek it out. If it has issues, I wouldn't bother with it.

This organ would date back to the late 80s to about 1993.

The MIDI on these are very rudimentery, note on/off, expression, maybe pistons. Not really all that good as a MIDI controller.

AV

Quote Originally Posted by arie v View Post
    The MIDI on these are very rudimentery, note on/off, expression, maybe pistons. Not really all that good as a MIDI controller.
    Agree. I wasn't thinking of using ANY of the existing electronics IF a decision was made to go VPO. It would all have to be gutted and 21st Century MIDI installed to use as a controller. I don't know, but a self contained instrument should have a lot less wood showing on the kneeboard. Three manuals? Should be several 16' if not at least one 32'. Should be some big speakers needed. There should be more grille cloth than just the band (which could be shadow) above the toe pistons. Just an observation.

Glad to see your input, Arie. I was hoping you'd recognize it. And just as I guessed, somewhat kin to the Praeludium II we used to have here. Sure there are weaknesses -- fairly primitive digital generator (M114 chips?), passable but not exactly premium build quality. But I really like the feel of the keyboards, and the pedals were quite decent once all the shutter springs were repaired as needed. Not crazy about the plastic expression pedals, but they look like they are intact and ought to last many more years.

I do think that is a speaker grille, and that it has internal audio. Yes, that would be a smallish audio system for such a large spec organ, but it probably does a decent job of producing the sound in a small room. In a church or large room you'd obviously want more speakers for an organ of that size.

Oh, how the times have changed! Every time I see an organ for sale for next to nothing I am reminded that up until about 10 or 12 years ago I couldn't get my hands on ANYTHING nearly that nice. If I'd had an organ like that 20 years ago, it would've been organ heaven for me! And these days, I have organs like that out the wazoo.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

I owned a Praeludium II for a while, and my issues with it were these:

1) the pedal and great were not under expression; it would have been useful to have the option to express them with the swell.

2) the great did not offer a tremulant

3) there was a lack of "chorus" or ensemble

But the individual voices were quite nice to my ears for what it had. The Praeludium III had some additional very useful voices, including a Flute Celeste. An unexpressive pedal and great would have been less of an issue because of the additional expression on the choir.

The stoplist on these models is very European--whether or not that matter depends upon your tastes in organ design.

My organ had problems with the pedal shutter springs failling, but when they worked they had a very nice feel; the replacement pedalboard that Galanti provided used bumper switches, and it never felt as good. But it was reliable.

By the way, the Galanti P3 sold for around $30,000 in the market where I lived (Pacific Northwest) at the time. I'm sure that had a healthy dealer profit included. I paid about $10,000 for my P2.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an Allen C6 Protege on eBay now, located in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. Starting at $4,000.

Galanti's current European models are are called Praeludium. I don't know how old the organ in question is but I would not assume that it is equivalent technology to what was sold under that name in the USA. If it was built in the last 10 years, it would have DRAKE technology. I was looking at a used AG3200 and contacted the factory for information and in doing so found their website. That is how I found out about the names used in Europe. By the way, they responded to my questions promptly.

I think it is Ahlborn that currently uses the Praeludium model names--at least that is what their website shows. Perhaps Galanti USA is selling the Ahlborn product. I thought Galanti in Europe no longer existed--or was it GEM?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast