Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worcester knee swell mounting

Worcester knee swell mounting

Just tried to post a thread, but no-go with an attached photo, so here goes (again) with text only. Subject: Worcester reed organ problem concerning knee paddles (left and right) that operate swell box (I think). History: bought a house and this organ was left behind, so figured I'd try to fix it up a bit. Specifics: the knee paddles were just flopping around, and I think mounted backwards anyway. The hinge part, where two screws attach each paddle to the main organ body have "tabs" (for lack of a better term). Should these be oriented inward, or outward when mounting the paddles? Next, the paddles seem to be mounted on wood that is only about an eighth of an inch thick - totally inadequate. Are there supposed to be additional small wood blocks glued to the inside of this wood for accepting the screws that the paddles mount with? If not, how are they supposed to be "properly" mounted?

Any help or advice appreciated

Hi, Sammich - You need to get a few postings in and then you'll be able to post pictures. Welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty new to pump organs, too, but does the organ look like this below the keys?

1899_Kimball_-_Notches_from_Volume_Lever.JPG

That felt is on the right-hand lever and presses on that rod open the swell shutters on my Kimball. The block serves as the stop. The levers are hinged to swing outward and are at the top corners of the close-out panel over the pedals.

I have no idea whether your Worcester is built similarly.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1999 Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) -- Allen TC 4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Thanks for the reply. The end I'm interested in is the one opposite the one shown in your photo, specifically where the knee paddle attaches to the organ body. I think the previous owner reversed the paddles (if not, the felt is on the wrong sides), and that they have nothing substantial to screw into anyway (basically just hanging from the panel just below the keyboard / above the pedals, because there isn't enough wood to really screw the hinges into)

Ah. I'm less confident about that end.

But go here -- http://www.reedsoc.org/

And click on "ROS Database" in the left-hand menu. Then enter "Worcester" as your search term. You'll find plenty of them to look at. Hopefully one or more will be photographed from an angle that low.
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

No luck with the photos. I suspect that most of these organs are assembled in a similar fashion, so if anybody has a photo showing the hinged end of the knee paddle, please post. Even if it is entirely different, nothing lost in trying!

Did you see this one?

Worcester_Gellerman.jpg

It appears to show a screw or bolt on the lever AND on the hinge, and they are installed independently of the cover panel over the pull straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Silken Path View Post
    Did you see this one?

Worcester_Gellerman.jpg

It appears to show a screw or bolt on the lever AND on the hinge, and they are installed independently of the cover panel over the pull straps.
    There was also a Worcester Organ Company established in The Netherlands, and I think this photo may be of one of those, not the one from Massachusetts, USA. (although the OP did not specify...)
    Casey

Hi, Sammich, Casey's the expert around here. Does your organ look like that?

I think Sir Casey is right - I looked a bunch of the other organs in the list, and the details are different.
    Last edited by Silken Path; 01-09-2018 at 02:08 AM.

Wish I could post a picture. It would probably clear this up quickly. Mine is from the 1880s, USA made (MA), and has the holes from previous mounting, but no indications of which way they were on there (no fading or indents in the varnish, etc). I'll just put some reinforcing blocks on it, plus strips (front panel is split the full width in two places) and make it work, even if not an accurate restoration. I do like to make things as close to original as possible, though, which is why I was asking

Well, you're not showing as moderated anymore, so I think you can post a picture now. In Quick Reply, click the icon that looks sort of like a picture frame and photo a tree and see what happens. The picture needs to be around 50 KB or so and 480 or so wide for good results, I've found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast