Thread: Rodgers 22D keys sticking down

Rodgers 22D keys sticking down

The bottom manual of my 22D has been giving me fits. The low E & F sometimes would not return. So I opened up the machine and tilted the keyboard up and worked all the keys vigorously. And as you might expect a lot of crud fell out. And I don't know if this matters but these two keys are the ones notched to clear the screw that hold the aluminum bar with the felts. Any way The keys started to work alright, BUT now the low A sticks. And here is the part that confounds me. When tipped up to 90 degrees, it works perfectly. But below 45 degrees it binds up. Any suggestions?

I believe those keys are on wooden channels that have a key guide under the front of the key. Piano repairmen have a tool for expanding this area under the key and in many cases, the key guide itself is not round, but oval shaped so by turning it, you can tighten or loosen the key.

You might try just grabbing the sluggish with one hand while depressing the ones on either side and moving it side to side vigorously. The reason it works better in the up position is you remove the effects of gravity.

Geo

Wiggling and shaking and moving did the job. It seems fine now, thanks for the info!