Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minister of Music compared to MD/Organist who "develops the music ministry"

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    ... So you might think about actually entering into that small measure of spiritual union with your choristers, even though it is outside the expected domain of a choir director. A brief and heartfelt non-sectarian prayer offered by the director at the close of a rehearsal might be a very warm and uniting bit of ritual that the choir would genuinely come to love.
    John, food for thought, for sure. You're right - even though it's not something I've ever done, it isn't something I should write off as something I'll never do, either.

Thank you very much.

-S-

fff Fortississimo davidecasteel's Avatar
    Concerning leading the Choir in prayer, that is not necessarily a task for the Choir Director, Music Director, Minister of Music, etc. The Adult Choir at my church has a designated Chaplain, who is both a singer and an ordained UMC pastor (not on the staff). And we currently also have 2 retired pastors in the Choir (did have 3, but the former MoM retired from the Choir last week due to aging issues--when he retired he went to another church for 5 years to allow the new Director to settle in, then just joined the Choir as a Tenor). The Choir has a slate of officers who are voted into office each fall and serve for one or more years. The Chaplain is just one of those positions (and has been filled by the same person for a number of years now--no term limit). At the end of each rehearsal, the Chaplain is called to render a short presentation/prayer, and then the President goes over any issues facing the body. Just before dismissal, the entire body stands, joins hands, and sings "Alleluia". Although the current Chaplain is ordained, the job description does not require it--the UMC supports "lay ministry" and would accept any person willing to take on the responsibility.

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidecasteel View Post
    Concerning leading the Choir in prayer, that is not necessarily a task for the Choir Director, Music Director, Minister of Music, etc. The Adult Choir at my church has a designated Chaplain, who is both a singer and an ordained UMC pastor (not on the staff). And we currently also have 2 retired pastors in the Choir (did have 3, but the former MoM retired from the Choir last week due to aging issues--when he retired he went to another church for 5 years to allow the new Director to settle in, then just joined the Choir as a Tenor). The Choir has a slate of officers who are voted into office each fall and serve for one or more years. The Chaplain is just one of those positions (and has been filled by the same person for a number of years now--no term limit). At the end of each rehearsal, the Chaplain is called to render a short presentation/prayer, and then the President goes over any issues facing the body. Just before dismissal, the entire body stands, joins hands, and sings "Alleluia". Although the current Chaplain is ordained, the job description does not require it--the UMC supports "lay ministry" and would accept any person willing to take on the responsibility.
    Very good, David, and thank you. You're right - one of the most striking things to me about the UMC service at our church is that it's started, every week, by a lay member of the congregation, who welcomes everyone, leads several prayers, announces the first hymn, and then the leadership of the service is turned over to the minister. It's a good thing for me to keep in mind. And so is offering to any member of the choir who wishes to lead a prayer the opportunity to do so.

-S-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12