Thread: Postitive Theater Organ

ppp Pianississmo Trumpet Mirabilis's Avatar

Postitive Theater Organ

Hi!
    I've been toying with an idea for a while. What if there were a Continuo/Positive organ, but with a tremulant and traditional theatrical stops, essentially being a positive theater organ! Since I am only 12, building it wouldn't be possible. But can anyone more qualified elaborate on this?

Best,
    Van.

If your thought is to make a portable theatre pipe organ, it has been done. Reginald Foorte had a 27 rank portable pipe organ build by Moller for touring--if you can call a 27 ton organ portable. But he did transport it to various venues for concerts. Information about this organ can be found here: http://www.atos.org/FoortMoller

On a smaller scale, several builders made organs of about 3 ranks, and one of them even build one in a grand piano case--Kilgen, I think. Three ranks, though, doesn't give a lot of variety to the sound.

But it is hard to build a really full sounding theatre organ in a portable package--the pipes, chest, and blower just take up a lot of space.

mp Mezzo-Piano VaPipeorgantuner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Mirabilis View Post
    Hi!
    I've been toying with an idea for a while. What if there were a Continuo/Positive organ, but with a tremulant and traditional theatrical stops, essentially being a positive theater organ! Since I am only 12, building it wouldn't be possible. But can anyone more qualified elaborate on this?

Best,
    Van.
    there would be many challenges to overcome...scaling pipes for theatre organ sound, higher wind pressures which would make playability a possible issue, chest construction...a LOT of work which would likely yield disappointing results. Perhaps approaching something like the old Moller "portable" which was self contained in a cabinet designed to go thru a 30 inch wide door would be a starting point, but again scaling and voicing for a more theatrical sound...perhpas using higher-than-typical wind pressure for these organ (which were usually on 3.5 inch pressure), a more effective tremulant and an external blower in a sound-proofed box. Even still the cost versus benefits (i.e. the more robust sound of a typical small theatre organ) would possibly not give the desired results for the money spent.

Rick in VA