Thread: The disassembly is a project in itself

The disassembly is a project in itself

Hi everyone,

My latest reed organ project is turning out to be a new experience in many ways - a Carhart & Needham. The first issue is that it is too heavy for me to lift (without a lift truck), even when completely stripped down to the action with the keyboards and all case parts off. The exhausters are 7 feet tall, 2 inches thick, solid oak. The divider board is 90 inches tall, with a full reservoir behind it - all made from 2 inch thick oak. There are 11 full ranks for the keys in a vertical action (using Needham's 1859 patent), and 3 - 25 note ranks in the pedal (8/16/32) for a total of 746 reeds.

IMG_3205 (Medium).JPGDisassembly.JPGArrived at warehouse.JPGIMG_3257 (Medium).JPGIMG_3311.jpg

There are hidden screws everywhere, which most of my time in taking it apart is spent walking around the organ, scratching my head and wiggling parts to see where the hid the next one.

So far, the newest patent found was on the beater tremolo, which was from Aug. 1, 1871. Beyond that, I have no other historical info or serial number on it. The earliest tuning/repair date found was April 24-25, 1891. There is a nice label on the reed chest saying it was tuned by Lorenzo T. Baker, but to me it looks like this replaced a larger label or plaque that was there originally - this was probably the 'key' information that I am looking for...

The organ has been silent for many years in a church, which closed in 2005 and has remained for sale since then. Over that time a few windows were broken, which one of those windows was beside the organ and the bass side of the case is fairly weathered.

The plan is to disassemble it so that it can be at a weight that I can handle on my own for transportation from the storage, but for the next year it will remain in storage.

O the trouble these organs have gotten me into....

Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney; 12-29-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.
    Most of all, be creative, make music and have fun...

Oh, but you love it really. Stop complaining!

By the way, what make is it?

Keep smiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carter View Post
    By the way, what make is it?
    Curious minds, don'tcha know! I would love to be able to do what you can Casey do, but I have to work for a living. If you don't mind me asking, how do you finance it all--a daytime job? It is clearly a labor love!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

LOL... Here I leave out the most important detail - it is a Carhart & Needham (I'll edit the thread starter). This was financed through a friend, I have to work for a living as well - computer geek by day and reed organ geek by night. This is why it takes me months (or years as in the last one) to complete a restoration. It may sound weird but I'm looking forward to working on these full time after I retire..., if that makes any sense
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.

A lovely piece - and a privilege to get into the ancient insides. Thanks for sharing Rodney! Good luck with getting this piece of history home - say, where are you going to house it once restored? It is really one big old lady!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Wow! Good Luck with that, i want to see updates on the project, what is the lowest pitch wise on the console stops?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Madison View Post
    Wow! Good Luck with that, i want to see updates on the project, what is the lowest pitch wise on the console stops?
    How come no one ever asks for the highest pitch on the console stops? Just kidding. I also ask about the lowest stop on an organ. I guess it's just an organist thing!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Hello Rodney,

Now that is a church organ. Makes my Estey T look small. Beautiful case work. Oak? I kept mine on dollies until the repairs were finished. Your new acquisition is a real looker. I can't wait until you demonstrate it on You Tube. Hope you and family have a Happy New Year.

Thanks guys!

Nico: This organ is destined for a music instrument museum that is in the beginning stages. The nice thing about this museum is that many of these instruments CAN be played and heard.

Ben, Michael: The lowest rank of reeds is a 32ft in the pedal division. The pedal is completely separate from the keyboard chests, with three ranks under the keyboards. I’m not certain on the keyboards yet, but it looks like both great and swell have 16ft ranks. It is hard to tell since it has not made a noise in generations.

Reed Puller: The wood is walnut, in straight grain, burl and birds eye in the inset areas. Time will tell if I can start restoring it later this year, as I’m still not sure if it will fit in my workshop – it just might be too big. If that happens, then it might take much longer before I start it, but there will be other interesting instruments on the list that I can choose from.

A few more pictures:

Close up of the pipe facade:
    IMG_3230.jpg

The great to pedal coupler:
    IMG_3314.jpg

Weather damage to the finish:
    IMG_3233.jpg

Slowly stripping the reed chests off, each of the 11 chests have their own set of pallets, which will amount to a crazy amount of pallet refacing:
    IMG_3433.jpg

Happy New Year to all!

Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Thanks guys!

Ben, Michael: The lowest rank of reeds is a 32ft in the pedal division.

Rodney
    Wow! That is really a church organ. Those reeds must be over a foot long! Thanks again Rodney for the noble work of preserving these beauties for the next generations.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...