Thread: Miller 11- stop Parlor organ, new find, maybe

Miller 11- stop Parlor organ, new find, maybe

I found an ailing Miller yesterday. The current owner is in his 80-ies and kind of has a wandering mind and talking sense to him is a bit tricky, if not risky. It seems that the organ may find its way to an auction along with some other old stuff the dear old chap had been accumulating. I might be tempted to bid on it. The organ is in poor to bad shape. One treadle strap is broken, bellows is leaking. It does produce some sound with vigorous pumping and much effort on the remaining pedal. Stops are squeeky and stiff..... I could not check much more for fear of getting the dear old man to become agitated.

Here are some pics:

IMG_20171227_100448[1].jpgIMG_20171227_100453[1].jpg

Its a small organ and needs some work but even as is should not become a candidate for abuse or destruction.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

poor thing!

pretty cabinet!

I don't think that I have ever seen a plain looking Miller organ, they are always such good looking instruments. Let us know how the auction turns out!
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.
    Most of all, be creative, make music and have fun...

mp Mezzo-Piano Pipeorganbuilder's Avatar

Wishing you the best of luck Nico. Such a nice looking organ.

Michael

The auction, if it happens, will not be so soon as the entire property where the old soul lives will be auctioned. He runs a kind of junk shop from the premises. I have someone at hand who will keep an eye out on my behalf. The organ is about 250 miles away so I will have to rely on the friend who lives around the corner from the old fella.

I just cannot stand the thought of such beauty of yesteryear running the risk of falling into the wrong hands who will not appreciate it.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

mp Mezzo-Piano VaPipeorgantuner's Avatar

I am in the process of rebuilding a Miller in my shop. They seem to be well made. Miller must have employed some really skilled cabinet makers for their case work. Inside, they are relatively easy to work on. The bellows and evacuators are rebuildable as long as you follow the existing parts as models. Hope this beauty can be saved and eventually restored.

Rick in VA