Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good is the Gulbransen - Premiere

How good is the Gulbransen - Premiere

In my "Organ research" so I can hopefully find a cheap/free organ so I can learn to play, I spotted this Organ the*<SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">Gulbransen - Premiere.*</SPAN><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">http://vancouver.craigslist.org/msg/392458882.html</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">The price seems steep, but it seems to be heading in the right direction of what I seem to be focusing on, which is:</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;"><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">•</SPAN><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">Full size pedals</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">•Realistic Pipe organ sounds</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">•Drawbars</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">•2 Manuals (though 49 keys would be the min)</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;"><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 24px; font-weight: bold;">So what is the quality of the Gulbransen PR? What year is it etc? As I've said before I am brand new to organs, but have always had an interest in them.*</SPAN></DIV>

Re: How good is the Gulbransen - Premiere

I don't have a Premiere but I do have both a Theatrum (spinet) and an early ('61) Rialto K (console) and I love 'em both. Great vintage analog sound, nicely built and finished, reliable and easy to service. The Theatrum has both the traditional tabs as well as drawbars (selectable by manual with pistons) and a very, very nice piano. The Rialto K has individual tone generators for the Tibia's and a separate set of divider style generators for the main non-Tibia voices. Seems to create a richer overall tone. According to the information I've got the Premier uses a similar tone generation system. I'm very happy with both of my Gulbransens. Since the model you're looking at is a console the information I've got says that it's either a model number 1154 (1967 vintage) or a 5118/5118-1 (1972) vintage. Unless somebody recognizes the difference from the pictures you would have to ask the seller for the model number to pin down the year.
    </p>

I think that "Realistic Pipe Organ Sounds" is a requirement that your going to have to balance between your ears/taste and pocketbook. My humble opinion is that you'll find some good Tibia sounds and sometimes strings in these old analog instruments but you're going to have to go up quite a bit on the price to find something that's going to give you a reasonably well rounded theatre pipe sound unless you start to add some virtual pipe sounds a la Miditzer. I haven't heard or played the Premiere model but I'm sure there are folks on the board that can give you some first hand feedback on it. You can probably find something cheaper (my Hammond H-133 was a freebee) but I've liked all the older Gulbransen's I've ever heard.

I see also that you mentioned full size pedals. I believe the pedalboard on this Premier is a 25 note, flat, radiating unit -- works for me with what I play but it wouldn't satisfy you if you're planning a serious pursuit of classical works.</p>

If it's close by I'd suggest you take a look and listen []</p>

</p>
    Gary

Current: Rodgers 340 "Special", Gulbransen Rialto K (Both Versions), Allen Theatre Deluxe, Rodgers Olympic 333, Roland Atelier AT70 (I hope)
    History: Rodgers 321B, Rodgers 740B, Gulbransen Theatrum, Hammond H-133, Thomas Malibu, Heathkit/Thomas Paramount

The Premiere is from 1969/70 and is perhaps not Gulbransen's best instrument, though it has a reasonable sound. However, it's not in the same league as the earlier Rialtos or the later Rialto 2's. The tibia/flute voices are great, but the rest of the sounds are weak by comparison. The Piano, as mentioned, is very good for its vintage. Drum box is very much mid 1960's 'boom-sshh'! There are no drawbars. I wonder what they mean by one key a bit loose? Think of the repair costs if you can't do it yourself.</P>

Looking at your list, you want realistic pipe organ sounds and drawbars. Those two don't usually go together - it's normally one or the other. I can only think of a few more recent Hammonds that have this, or the Rogers W5000. They will cost plenty of $! And then there's the Gulbransen Rialto 2 series, which should be rather less expensive.</P>

I'd go try it out and see what you think of the sound, and find out if it is truly fully working. It's possible to get these semi-vintage Gulbransens going perfectly, but it sometimes takes a lot of time and effort, not to mention money!</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Bottom line I want to learn at home how to play the pipe orgran since that is my favorite type of organ. So I want to be able to learn how to blend the different pipe organ sounds, work the multiple keyboards and pedal board (obviously), So I want to focus on my first orgran that will allow me to learn the pipe organ while at home without costing allot. I am on permanent disability, so money is beyond tight. If I found a top condition organ for $300CDN say (out of my budget but an example) how long would it last if taken care of? I might be able to get the money but if I got an organ with that money from someone (won't go any further), would it last 10+ years machanics wise if taking good care of? For all the "Drum machine, beats etc" I have a M-Audio Keystation, as well as a Technics SX-KN1200 so rythom system etc is at the bottom of my list (actually not on my list at all).*<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I Just want to learn how do play the pipe organ (classical it seem I am not a church go-re (execpt I love that pipe organ).*</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>One more catch, I am legally blind, so I have to learn by ear.*</DIV>

Hello all,</P>

I am not familiar with the Premier but I play a President at church. I guess its a lower model than the Premier. It has a wonderful full sound but lacks anykind ofcouplers. I think the stoplist is a little limited but it has more than my Rhapsody. The auto rythum is chessy and it has asmall box mounted low on the console for some weird auto bass effects. The organ has drawbars as well. I'd get the Premier if it is working. Gulbransen seems to be a good quality brand. Definitely better than some others from that era. </P>

If you just want to learn to play classical organ music, then almost any full console organ will do, as you're interested in getting the notes in the correct order!The Premiere would be OK for this, but don't pay much for it. Organs of this age are usually being given away. </P>

If you want to learn to 'blend the stops' like you say, that's a different matter, and the Premiere won't do that well. It's a theatre style organ and it's stoplist is not right. You would need an analog (or maybe early digital) church or classical organ instead. Allen, Rodgers, Baldwin, Conn and Gulbransen are possible makes to consider, but whatever you get, it's going to be pretty old, so don't expect it to sound really pipe-like.</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

Gary,</P>

I was wondering if the Theatrum is the Gulbransen Spinet that does not have the staggered keyboards? I would also like to know the stop list. I don't remember the Premier right off hand, and was wondering if it is a console or spinet model. I once sold Gulbransen Organs, but that was in the late 70's and early 80's. We had the Pacemaker Series of that time as well as the 400 Spinet models.</P>

Thanks,</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

James,</P>

"PMFJI" (I hate newsgroup shorthand!)</P>

The T-100 and T-200 did not have staggered keyboards. The Theatrum did, at least from the photos I have seen. I have some photos of the T-100 and T-200 here:</P>

http://www.jimmyandsharonwilliams.com/gulbransen</P>

The Premiere (AKA Model PR) was a console model. I posted some photos of that one too at the same site. </P>

I'll let Gary take it from here...</P>

- Jim</P>
    Jimmy Williams
    Hobbyist (organist/technician)
    Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204
    Farfisa Compact / Leslie 860 and Combo Preamp III / Hammond Porta-B

The Theatrum did have staggered keyboards. Alas, to fit it into the same dimensions as the T series organs they shifted the pedals several inches to the right, which made it uncomfortable to play. And you'd play a lot of wrong notes at first when you moved from a standard spinet to a Theatrum or vice versa.</P>

Andy</P>

[quote user="andyg"]

The Theatrum did have staggered keyboards. Alas, to fit it into the same dimensions as the T series organs they shifted the pedals several inches to the right, which made it uncomfortable to play. And you'd play a lot of wrong notes at first when you moved from a standard spinet to a Theatrum or vice versa.</P>

Andy</P>

[/quote]</P>

Andy,</P>

Thanks for your info here. You have great knowledge of so many organs. I guess a bit of age has caused me to forget some that I did not see too often even when I worked in a music store. I now remember about the pedals being shifted a bit now that you mentioned that situation. Andy, hindsight is what it is since I really wish I had a nice Gulbransen Organ.</P>

I do recall that you once corrected me on the model numbers of the Pacmaker Series I sold which were all Tibia/Flute Organs. It seems the ones we sold were prone to have problems and were not the quality of some earlier models. I did like the 400 Series Spinet very much. However, the one that catches my eye the most is the H Series or H3 since I do have a service manual on this model. I don't mind an all flute organ if there is some variety such as a couple of solo stops that are somewhat "realistic" or have the characteristic of a Trumpet 8' for example. I do like the Gulbransen Organs much more than Hammond. Who knows, maybe if I had had the opportunity to play the H Series I might have purchased one new in lieu of the Hammond M100 I had for years. Many people told me that I had a nice Hammond model, but I just didn't care for it too much.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models