Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Needed for a project...A Chorus Generator

I just acquired a DV from 1940,I believe,(ser 2608),it has all the goodies,a tight fit but everything is on the shelf,nothing underneath.Same interior dimensions as a B case, so space isn`t a limiting factor.

Quote Originally Posted by skydawg View Post
    I just acquired a DV from 1940,I believe,(ser 2608),it has all the goodies,a tight fit but everything is on the shelf,nothing underneath.Same interior dimensions as a B case, so space isn`t a limiting factor.
    The only problem is where to mount the preamp in the -3. I suppose one could use the "bridge" from the same organ that donates the chorus gen.
    Current organs: BC, A-100, E-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
    Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, CV

Quote Originally Posted by enor View Post
    Frequencies 56 thru 91, so 35 DSPs. And of course an equal amount of buffer amps (for the input to the DSPs) and pads (for returning the signal)
    Ok so that equates to 9x quad DSPs plus buffers.
    I’d say this could be done for $1-2k in components, plus a lot of labour and love!
    But still easier than trying to shoehorn a genny into a console!

Quote Originally Posted by Papus View Post
    Ok so that equates to 9x quad DSPs plus buffers.
    I’d say this could be done for $1-2k in components, plus a lot of labour and love!
    So you'll spend many times more money, and still just get a homebrew copy. Sounds like a really bad idea to me.
    Current organs: BC, A-100, E-100
    Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
    Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, CV

I'll put a genny into a console for less than $1K. FOB my dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I'll put a genny into a console for less than $1K. FOB my dock.
    I stand corrected!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of anyone creating a Super-B3, BC3 or whatever you want to call this hypothetical beast.
    As a pragmatist and as someone who finds the peculiar brand of audiophile snake oil rather amusing, I firmly believe in the law of diminishing returns.
    In the audiophile world this means that say the audiophile community agrees that a $50,000 speaker and amplification system achieves 90% audio perfection, then the next level up is the $500,000 system which achieves 95% audio perfection. The final level is the $5,000,000 system which achieves 98% audio perfection according to the audiophiles.
    See how that works? - to make the 5% leap from 90% perfection to 95% perfection requires a entire order of magnitude greater investment.
    And that final 3% improvement is TWO orders of magnitude more expensive than the baseline starting point.
    I'll bet even the most wizened audiophiles would struggle to hear that last 3% of improvement. Heck, most of the increase in cost is in the use of exotic materials and absurdly fastidious craftsmanship which adds nothing to the sound.
    So, at some point you have to say to yourself "How much is that last 5% or 3% of authenticity really worth?"
    I love my heavily modified T212 and 122. It grinds, spits and growls like a beast. It's a hefty piece of furniture. It looks and feels the part when you sit behind it and fire up the TWG. You can see, hear, feel and smell the electromechanical heartbeat of the thing. You can see the rotors spinning hypnotically.
    But I'd rather take an XK5 and Mini Vent II to a gig....... the law of diminishing returns.
    Current:
    1971 Hammond T-202 with Carsten Meyer mods: Remove key click filters, single-trigger percussion, UM 16' drawbar volume correction. Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor in T202 effects loop.
    Korg CX3 (original 1980's analogue model)
    1967 Leslie 122 with custom inbuilt preamp on back panel for 1/4" line-level inputs, bass & treble controls. Horn diffusers intact.

Former:
    1964 Hammond C3
    Hammond M-102
    Hammond X5
    Leslie 825 (converted to passive, powered by guitar valve amp)

With all due respect, a chorus generator is not snake oil. You can easily hear the difference between an organ with a chorus generator, and one without.

If one was to go that far, might as well drop an H100 genny in a -3 series console.....getting stereo vibrato and extra tones.....matter of fact, I think one Wes Garland might have one of those lying around his shop....
    Hammond B3 (55), B3 (70), B3 (72), B2 (51) conversion, A100 (61) chop, A100 (62), A105 (75), Northern BC (39) empty.
    Pile of Leslies of various flavours, Minimoog, ARP Odyssey, MaxiKorg, Hohner D6, Rhodes 54, Rhodes 73, Wurlitzer A200, Wurlitzer A203W

1 members found this post helpful.
    I do.....and believe me, I have contemplated putting it to work that way. The hard part, of course, would be re-wiring the manual innards to take advantage of the 5 extra tones.

Stereo vibrato, incidentally..I bet would sound insane coming from two different tone cabinets! You'd need two more delay lines and preamps, though.

If only I had time to build everything I dreamt up. I am still months behind on other projects. Actually, years. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I do.....and believe me, I have contemplated putting it to work that way. The hard part, of course, would be re-wiring the manual innards to take advantage of the 5 extra tones.

Stereo vibrato, incidentally..I bet would sound insane coming from two different tone cabinets! You'd need two more delay lines and preamps, though.

If only I had time to build everything I dreamt up. I am still months behind on other projects. Actually, years. Sigh.
    Apple Logic’s Scanner CV can operate in stereo...... run a console through it and hear how it sounds

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast