Thread: Jennings vox continental organ is this what organ i have here

Jennings vox continental organ is this what organ i have here

Hi al, Il am new to all this and would like some helpful advice on something that i picked up in auction here in Cape Town (South Africa) about 2 years ago but never really thought it was worth anything till i decided to clear some stuff out and do an internet search on this organ.

I am hoping to put a few pictures that i have taken when i first purchased the organ but there not great and will go up and take more if it turns out to be worth anything.
    I paid R280(RAND) for the organ which is approx 15 british pounds.

It all looks in good condition but has got an african animal skin on the top(think its just lighly put on ...not sure) and it comes in what looks like an origional heavy wooden case with a vinyl cover. Also comes with another wooden case that also looks original which contains a stand.I think it also has a foot pedal but I remember that it did NOT come with a power supply cord which is why i just stuck it away in my storage as a rainy day project( itend do do a lot of hiring out to film sets for some of my items and that is why i got it ).

Is this a Vox continental organ or an earlier Jennings one and if theJennings is it more or less collectable/valuable ??
    Why does it have an extra dial knob on the red rubber is this standard?
    Have i got anything collectable and worth anything ??

Any advice would be very appreciated
    Regards
    Andrew

Jennings vox continental organ is this what organ i have here

Hi al, Il am new to all this and would like some helpful advice on something that i picked up in auction here in Cape Town (South Africa) about 2 years ago but never really thought it was worth anything till i decided to clear some stuff out and do an internet search on this organ.

I am hoping to put a few pictures that i have taken when i first purchased the organ but there not great and will go up and take more if it turns out to be worth anything.
    I paid R280(RAND) for the organ which is approx 15 british pounds.

It all looks in good condition but has got an african animal skin on the top(think its just lighly put on ...not sure) and it comes in what looks like an origional heavy wooden case with a vinyl cover. Also comes with another wooden case that also looks original which contains a stand.I think it also has a foot pedal but I remember that it did NOT come with a power supply cord which is why i just stuck it away in my storage as a rainy day project( itend do do a lot of hiring out to film sets for some of my items and that is why i got it ).

Is this a Vox continental organ or an earlier Jennings one and if theJennings is it more or less collectable/valuable ??
    Why does it have an extra dial knob on the red rubber is this standard?
    Have i got anything collectable and worth anything ??

Any advice would be very appreciated
    Regards
    Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

sorry tried to get photos on but having a bit of trouble getting them to link(there on dropbox) will try again here.i think it may be that i have not got priveledges to put photos on yet as have just joined??

Hi Andrew

I am new here myself but am tech support for a web company, so what you need to do to get a link to work is to type what you want to be the link (Click Here for example), highlight it and then click on the icon to the right of the smiley face. Paste your Dropbox link and click OK. The end result should go blue with an underline.

Anyway on to more important matters, I am so jealous of your find! I am a huge fan of the Vox sound (Ray Manzarek's fault!) but can't afford them as they usually go for about 1000 or more in the UK. I have got a Roland VR-09B which does a really good job of emulating a transistor organ, but it's not the real thing. I do, however, have a PDF copy of the Continental manual if you (or anyone else for that matter) want it. Just click here for a copy (it's in my One Drive folder). I would love to see photos of your continental.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimajo View Post
    Hi Andrew

I am new here myself but am tech support for a web company, so what you need to do to get a link to work is to type what you want to be the link (Click Here for example), highlight it and then click on the icon to the right of the smiley face. Paste your Dropbox link and click OK. The end result should go blue with an underline.

Anyway on to more important matters, I am so jealous of your find! I am a huge fan of the Vox sound (Ray Manzarek's fault!) but can't afford them as they usually go for about 1000 or more in the UK. I have got a Roland VR-09B which does a really good job of emulating a transistor organ, but it's not the real thing. I do, however, have a PDF copy of the Continental manual if you (or anyone else for that matter) want it. Just click here for a copy (it's in my One Drive folder). I would love to see photos of your continental.
    Hi there Yukimajo thanks for the reply ang yes i do feel lucky to pick this up and the fact that i just put it into the storage as thought it was just a basic instrument with no real value.
    Will try again with the pictures but it will just have to be the ones i first took when i first got the organ as it is deep in storage and although planning to get it out need a lot of time to get to it as its packed away deep
    jennings vox keyboard (5).jpg

Please let me know if i have anything of any use and what i should try to take a more detailed picture of when i get it out later in the week(have you seen any with that rotary knob on the right above the pull out ones??).Not sure if all my pictures above will show that great as they were compressed for emailing previously .
    thanks very much for the link for the manual will download today keep in touch regards
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Andrew

That animal skin just has to go! I don't know who decided that would be a good idea, but they surely needed a kick in the nuts for that one . I have pound a site called the Vox Showroom and it has a wealth of info on all things Vox. Here is a link which may be of interest as it shows that the Jennings ones (like the Warning label on yours) uses wooden keys, which have to be better than the plastic of the later models. Does it also have the chrome legs?

Fully restored you will have an absolute beauty and a bargain on your hands.

I look forward to seeing this one coming back to life.

Marten

Hi Marteen and all interested followers.Well I finally got up to my storage units and got to the Vox Continental organ and stand that I have been hording there and pulled it all out and managed to take some better pictures.
    It actually looks in better condition than what I first thought when I purchased it about 2 years ago (for 15 british pound!!).

It has the chome stand in a wooden case,the case could do with a small easy tidy up as one of the hinges had been poorly repaired although still able to securely carry the stand.
    There was no foot control as I had first thought.
    The actual organ had some horrible animal skin put on the red top but this easily peeled off without damage to organ top and will just need the old glue to be cleaned of thoroughly( which it does do easily ).
    Does not seem to have any damage to the keys or knobs and the extra (after market ?)rotary knob on the red organ top seems to go to the rear headphone socket.
    The top red vinyl is in good clean undamaged condition apart from what looks like a cigarette burn in the middle (can possibly remove most of this stain but maybe not completley).
    The wooden case of the organ is in good strong overall condition although the black vinyl has got a few nicks and wear around it as a whole.
    It has the red vinyl soft cover over the organ case but this is in only a fair condition and needs a good clean and slight repair to a few damaged areas.
    Inside everything looks fine and clean to my untrained eyes but I would like to test it BUT....
    I dont have a power supply and plug for this organ can anyone tell me what I need and where I could aquire.I am ex Brit who now lives permanently in South Africa so shipping item over to me via family and friends should not be a problem.
    What do you all think?
    Not sure what I want to do with it yet and may sell as is or keep for future hire outs to film and thearte set designers (which is what i do with all my stuff that i aquire from auctions and the like...I am similar to the American Pickers).
    As it stands what do you think is a fair offer price and do you think it is financially viable to restore it to a better cosmetic condition before selling if i go that route?
    Let me know what you all think
    Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

just also to say that i took over 30 picsyesterday but can only get 5 on a post so if anyone needs more let me know and will put more on
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Andrew

Great job of stripping that horrific top! From the photos it all look in really good order and I would say that it is definitely worth your while restoring it to it's former glory. The return you will get will be huge. I have just had a look on Reverb.com and there are no continentals at the moment, but there is a Jaguar (https://reverb.com/item/6226900-1966...er-continental) which is the baby brother of the continental and is going for a rather a hefty sum (which will sell).

As you don't have a power supply for it, I would recommend getting a new one installed, this is done quite a lot on restorations as it makes them more usable because you can then use a kettle lead style of cable instead of sourcing an original.

If I had the funds and space I would buy it off you in a heart beat!

Hi Marteen and other forum members, thanks for the reply and yes i was more than surprised when i got it all out again and saw the overall condition.
    One question I have is I have been doing a bit of trawling thru the various sites and see the Jaguar organ mentioned but is this a higher spec/value/rarety/collectable organ than the Vox continental or the same or lower, couldnt really figure this out.

Also the one you posted was an Italian one made which does this mean its a lower overall spec with plastic keys?
    As for the power I see those input sockets (think there called bounge sockets? )for the power leads are quite sought after and rare as apparently they dont make them anymore. Would it not be worth keeping that so its more origional. (I am a real sucker for old things and originality ).I thought i could always make up a fly lead just for testing purposes and get a connection onto those connectors on that ("bounge ? spelling? )socket even with some chocolate blocks or bullet crimps whilst i have a good look around for a cable...are the plug ends just as hard to come by?
    As far as i can see there is no transformer box or the like on the input cable other than whats in the organ itself,would love to just see if it powers up and it plays anything but dont want to blow anything.
    Having said all that this is a long term project as starting a new buisness here at the moment and very snowed under with getting everything set up but from what I can tell its not something that is just going to drop massively in collectability or worth.
    Will keep you all updated as and when I can to let you know of any progress
    Andrew

Jaguar to Continental is like M3 to B3
    1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Trinity
    and Korg KRONOS X73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

Hi Andrew, nice find, I too have a wooden key continental, mine's a 1965 model. Jaguar's aren't as sought after as the Continentals, and wooden key models fetch considerably more than the Italian plastic key models. The mains connector needed is called a Bulgin connector, these are fairly easy to source on the internet, keep us posted on your progress, if I can offer any assistance, I will be more than happy to help
    Jacob.