Thread: (Least) Favourite Stops

Nairne, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

(Least) Favourite Stops

Just as a general question, what are your favourite and least favourite stops on the organ?

fff Fortississimo Menschenstimme's Avatar
    Favorite: Any very useful mixture.
    Least Favorite: Anything overly-soft.

Current favorite: sesquialter. It's perfect for a solo voice on sad/angry psalms. Runner up is the maligned 16' dulzian. I can't help but smile when it starts quacking away.

Current least favorite: 8' oboe on the swell. Some notes are prominently softer than others; usually whatever note is the high point of a melody I keep forgetting to ask if that can be regulated or something.

fff Fortississimo Menschenstimme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cantor828 View Post
    Current favorite: sesquialter. It's perfect for a solo voice on sad/angry psalms. Runner up is the maligned 16' dulzian. I can't help but smile when it starts quacking away.

Current least favorite: 8' oboe on the swell. Some notes are prominently softer than others; usually whatever note is the high point of a melody I keep forgetting to ask if that can be regulated or something.
    Yes, the 8' oboe can be regulated.

Favorite: 8' Krummhorn. Especially in the tenor/alto range as a solo stop.

Least favorite: 16' Bassoon. Adds nothing to the reed chorus.

Most Favourite: Any well-bodied 16' pedal reed. An organ, even with mixtures and 8' reeds, just doesn't have the rumble or gravity it needs.
    Least Favourite: I agree with Menschenstimme, anything too soft to be generally useful (or even heard): in my experience the 8' Dulcianas you might find on a Choir division.

An organ without a nice Twelfth 2-2/3' on the great always feels a little disappointing too - they can build up the great principal chorus or alternatively be used with a nice 8' flute as an exquisite solo voice. They can be quite useful, but I don't like it if it is borrowed from a unison rank - they need to be a truly independent and properly tuned stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdane View Post
    You either don't have a good one or you speak heresy! The Contra-Fagotto/Bassoon 16' is often my most favourite stop on a Swell division.

I guess we all have differing tastes.

Nairne, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    An organ that I played on recently had a 16' Bassoon as the pedal reed. There was something seriously wrong with it though so it only worked in the lowest octave and then only if it really wanted to. As a matter of fact, much of the rest of the organ was the same...

Quote Originally Posted by APipeOrganist View Post
    Just as a general question, what are your favourite and least favourite stops on the organ?
    Favorite: Loud chorus reeds and Diaphones.
    least favorite: horizontal trumpet or any other solo reeds that are not enclosed in a swell. Exception is the grand ophicléide from the boardwalk hall.

Diaphones are all around good helpers if used right.

- - - Updated - - -

Favorite: 8' Krummhorn. Especially in the tenor/alto range as a solo stop.

Well depends on how you use it. I consider it a quintessential for theater pipe organ use.

Favourite : any really good 8' prestant. Very few good ones around. An 8' rohrflute can also be a joy to play. And lastly a good cornet V.

Least favourite : all those fancy named romantic 8' that seldom do more than use air.

Quote Originally Posted by APipeOrganist View Post
    An organ that I played on recently had a 16' Bassoon as the pedal reed. There was something seriously wrong with it though so it only worked in the lowest octave and then only if it really wanted to. As a matter of fact, much of the rest of the organ was the same...
    I have encountered a few of those organs over the years as well. One that I play once each year is temperamental - the last 5 notes of all the 16' pedal stops are digital because the organ installer did not have sufficient chamber height (or space) to mitre them. Lots of ciphers in those digital voices (kitchen table electronics used to create those notes) with the only way to stop them from playing is to shut off the blowers which in turn shuts down the rectifier which powers those digital stops.