Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did home organs disappear?

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    I do wonder in todays fairly affluent middle class what instruments do the young learn now? Anything?
    Guitar ! ... and they pay big money for them, both acoustic and electric.
    Roger Memphis
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Herbert,

. . . .

I think all the other reasons are true too. I do wonder in todays fairly affluent middle class what instruments do the young learn now? Anything?
    Probably they don't learn any instrument unless their parents play or played an instrument or they are in the band in school. (i'm in the United States.) Perhaps one reason is because of the young's perception of music. Many of them perceive music a commodity to be consumed rather than a product to be made. Let me illustrate with a personal experience. Once at church I was helping the children learn to sing a song. I was playing just melody on piano so they could learn the tune. One boy said, "This is not music." I tried to show him it was music by playing the piece (not just the melody). He still insisted that it wasn't music. To him, music was what he heard on the radio, CD, and/or iPod. This is a somewhat depressing thought.

Later,
    Allen
    Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

So true that kids today, and many adults as well, think the only way to really enjoy a particular "song" is to hear it exactly the way they hear it on the radio (or iPod, or however it is that people get music delivered these days). They want to hear Taylor Swift mumbling the words to her newest hit, not somebody trying to imitate her on some musical instrument!

And sadly, even some church musicians are leaning toward the idea of "recreating" the studio versions of songs when they present them in a worship service. Instead of merely distributing the sheet music for a new piece the team is going to do on Sunday, the director will direct them to an on-line demo or a downloadable MP3 and instruct the members to try to "do their part" the same way it's being done on the demo. In other words, not performing or adapting the song to their own style or taste or skill, but intentionally mimicking the "hit" performer. I ask, "why not just show a video of the original performer and his/her band on the big screen at the front of the church, and forget about trying to make your own group sound like them?"

All this obsession with "original versions" and "radio hits" and copy-cat renditions can only lead to frustration on the part of the musicians, who are never going to perfectly replicate the pro's performance. And ultimately discourage musicians from exploring their own distinctive talents, skills, and creativity.

A pox on it all. Home organs may not have been exactly superlative instruments, but they did provide a certain outlet for creativity that is sorely lacking today. Imperfectly as many or most owners played on these things, at least they were making some kind of music!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

All further interesting comments on the topic, thanks.

Certainly, AndyG, I am aware that good arrangements for the organ take a lot of care and skill to produce. I've looked at some of yours in fact on your website, and hope to try some out in due course.

Thanks also for the advice on what organ I might get. I think to make room for two in the house I'd have to sell one of my pianos, or relegate an instrument to a shed, so some compromise is more likely. Those Roland AT90SL or AT900s certainly look like the optimum do-it-all thing, but rather beyond my budget I am afraid, so I'm considering something more like this Ringway.

David

Quote Originally Posted by afuller5 View Post
    From what I have read, in the 30s, 40s, and 50s it was common for several performers to do versions of the same song. That does not seem to occur as much currently.
    Here in the UK there's a national radio station called Radio 1. Aimed at the younger audience, for over ten years there has been a regular feature called 'The Live Lounge', where current well known artists and bands are invited to the studios to perform their own versions of chart songs and album tracks by other bands and singers. There are also at least a dozen cd's of these sessions available. The results are usually very good with completely different alternate versions of previous songs.

I do wonder in todays fairly affluent middle class what instruments do the young learn now? Anything?
    If I had to guess, I'd say guitar and piano. Even arranger keyboards from cheap low-range models to the top end stuff are considered novelty items by many kids.
    Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
    Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
    Retired: Technics K700.

Maybe I'm lucky. For me, it's about a 60/40 split between piano and keyboard students. It varies from time to time but there are always more piano students than keyboard - unless I'm asked to teach at a school where keyboard is offered as a subject. There aren't many of those, but that's another story.

The youngsters I have who play keyboard vary from beginners at the age of 6 up to a few teenagers who have been with me for several years and are serious about playing the instrument properly, going steadily up through the grades. A couple will get letters after their names before they leave school, they're that good and dedicated. I'm glad to say that none of my lot have ever regarded the keyboard as a toy, but there again, they wouldn't or they wouldn't be learning with me!

But organ? I had just one piano student who, when her dad asked what she wanted for her 17th birthday, replied that she'd like an organ. I helped find her a mint Yamaha EL90T. She was a natural and would have gone far, but for her decision not to take the gap year she'd been planning on. Off to Uni, and the organ stayed at home! Apart from that, not one youngster has asked to learn. That's not to say that they aren't out there. Locally, the Rye Wurlitzer Academy has a steady stream of youngsters who play theatre pipe organ, with home organs loaned to them to practise on. They're fantastic!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    the Rye Wurlitzer Academy has a steady stream of youngsters who play theatre pipe organ, with home organs loaned to them to practise on. They're fantastic!
    That's great. Out of interest, what sort of material do they play, the old classics associated with cinema organs or something more current and up to date?

I've been asked on a few occasions in the past if I would give piano lessons to the kids of friends I know, but I've always refused as I don't think I'd have the patience. I was quite flattered that I was asked though.
    Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
    Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
    Retired: Technics K700.

I'm pleased to say that they play a good mixture, from classical through the 'standard' cinema organ fare right up to their own transcriptions of pop material.

Patience, as they say, is a virtue, and absolutely essential for a music teacher!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

The irony is, of course, that few keyboard instruments are as hip as the Hammond organ, yet no one younger than 40 has learned to play one properly.

ppp Pianississmo Adam Ziolkowski's Avatar

Well, don't go saying all of us young ones don't play organ. Lot of us "non-preppy" schmucks that like real music use M100's and B3's
    Hammond A102, Moog Concertmate MG-1 Rhodes MK 60 Digital Electric Piano with Grand, Clavinet D6, Vibraphone, Hammond M111, Leslie 145, Leslie Cream Pedal, Farfisa Leslie RSC-350, Farfisa Compact, Catalinbread Echorec, Wurlitzer 214, Bontempi, VST: Mini Moog,ARP Solina,SCI Prophet 5,Mellotron,EMS Putney,EMS VCS 3,Vox Continental,Pipe Organ,Step Sequencer,Drum Machine.61 Key Controller.Used to own a Hammond M3 owned by Prince's Keyboard Tech.19 years of age.A millennial with taste.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast