Thread: Estey pump organ question

Question Estey pump organ question

Hi! Newby here. My church was given a beautiful antique Estey pump organ, which I will be selling for a donation. The back appears to be 2 pieces but the top part is open. Is there a back piece missing or is it suppose to be that way?
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jhp1016 View Post
    Hi! Newby here. My church was given a beautiful antique Estey pump organ, which I will be selling for a donation. The back appears to be 2 pieces but the top part is open. Is there a back piece missing or is it suppose to be that way?
    Welcome to the Forum!

Do you have photos of the organ you can share/upload? On the bottom part of the organ, is the back in 2 pieces or one? For the top half of the organ, is the back missing, or is it one of the two pieces you mentioned? Thanks in advance for the photos, and I hope you can share the information soon.

The answer to your question depends greatly on the model of Estey organ you have. They made many different models, therefore, different possibilities to answer your question.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Yes, I'd like to upload a photo but my photo option is only a url. I have the photos in my computer.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhp1016 View Post
    Yes, I'd like to upload a photo but my photo option is only a url. I have the photos in my computer.
    When you reply to this thread, at the bottom of the window, click on "Go Advanced"​, and then below that window will be an option to "Manage Attachments." From there, I'm sure you can figure it out. There is a limit of 5 photos per reply.

I look forward to seeing the photos of what you're describing.

Michael

Here's a photo of the back (which I can't get to rotate) and the front of the organ. The back appears to have metal clips on the top corners. What you don't see below the open area is covered by wood.
    IMG_5980.JPG.jpgIMG_5978.JPG.jpg

I get it now. Your organ (in general) should probably have a top on it (like this one: https://www.organforum.com/gallery/d..._display_media). That's what confused me, because the top pieces to pump organs generally don't have backs on them. In your case, you're talking about the organ part, rather than the decorative top.

So, the bottom part you're taking about is where the bellows of the organ are located. I see you have the back on that part. However, the top part of the back where the reeds, Vox Humana vane, and stop mechanisms are located is missing. That section would also have a back on it like the bottom part. That section is used to keep the dust out of the reeds (as well as the cloth coverings in front). I'm not sure if you can find a replacement or not. You could certainly create something to cover that section, but I wouldn't know how.

Thank you for posting the photos. They are a great help. When it comes time to sell the organ, feel free to post it in the Organ Forum's Classifieds (you can see the link at the top of any page). Best with the organ.

Michael