Thread: Mason&Hamlin 3mp pedal spring

Mason&Hamlin 3mp pedal spring

This spring has broken on the low E in the pedal. It now sounds continuously. How can I replace/make one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take the diameter from the broken piece with a caliper guage and get a length of "music wire" from your local hardware shop. The material is springy yet bends easily and is very cheap. Get enough length to make a few more - they are bound to fail in time, especially if rodents have made their toilet on or near the spring bases....

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Well, I found "Piano" Wire not "Music" Wire. I suppose that is the same thing? I did not find it at Lowe's or Home Depot or Ace. It was obtained at a locally owned Hardware.

Now, how do I bend this stuff? It doesn't seem to want to bend and it sure didn't want to cut. I haven't really tried yet.

Piano wire is normally understood to literally mean "piano strings" in other words, the same material from which music strings are made and as you have discovered, a little more stubborn to bend. The term "music wire" actually refers generally to the wire components used in the manufacture of some chiming wall or grandfather clocks, although sometimes bronze rods were used for those.

Music wire (or whatever it is called in your area) bends readily, not as easily as binding of soft steel wire, but will respond well to some persuasive coaxing with a pair of pliers. Hammer a suitably sized steel nail (say about 5") into a thick block of wood and bend the wire around this using a pair of pliers if necessary on both sides of the length of wire being worked on. You can also hammer in more than one nail in strategic places to facilitate the effort. Clamp the block with its nail(s) in a vise so you can use both hands.

Good luck.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Thank you Nico. I kind of thought that would be how it would be done. It really helps to get someone else's confirmation on the ideas that cross my mind.

mp Mezzo-Piano Pipeorganbuilder's Avatar

Nico is right. I like to make a jig of several nails in a large block of wood. Do not be afraid to get tough on the metal. A pair of needle nose pliers comes in handy for bending also.

Michael

Well, it is a good thing that I looked again. The photo I posted is wrong. There is supposed to be a curl in the wire. Somehow it broke out. Anyway, I followed ya'll's directions and I made my first pedal spring. It works beautifully.
    Thank you all.

mp Mezzo-Piano Pipeorganbuilder's Avatar

Great! Now that you have the hang of it, you might want to make some spares while you have you mockup jig setup.

Michael

Did I make a jig? No, not yet. I just made it using pliers. I am going to make the jig though. I know there is another broken. Oddly enough, the pedal works fine without it.