Thread: Would this be a suitable console for Virtual Organ

Would this be a suitable console for Virtual Organ

I have my eye on a Viscount Domus 827 Organ. It has one problem in that the pedals do not work through their own stops, only when coupled with the keyboards. This tells me the pedals are probably fine and it is just the pedal amplifier that has stopped working.

My understanding is this is fully MIDI capable so I should be able to use this as a console and then mount some touch screen monitors somewhere, even if that means a bit or remodelling of the wood each end of the manuals.

It doesn't have any toe pistons but I guess I can add them later if necessary.

Anyone see any major issues here, or do you think this would work.

Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg
    Future Organ: Something with proper pedal board and 2 full length manuals
    Current Organs: Technics SX-GA1, Technics SX-EN4, Technics SX-GX7

Not as "old" as the seller might think, these were built in the early 90's I suppose. So good MIDI implementation, ought to work decently with your VPO software. But you will probably need a touch-screen to control stops, as those tilt tabs are not on any kind of capture system and probably don't send MIDI messages. Like other entry-level Viscounts it has decent keys and other hardware, just not as heavy duty as the higher models and premium brands.

The sound is surprisingly good. The Italians were doing some quite decent work with their first generation of digitals, surpassing the premium brands in certain ways, such as getting the attack sounds right. The pedal problem may well be nothing more than a loose cable somewhere, and if so, you may enjoy the native sounds more than you expect, though Hauptwerk will be much better.

Are you good with that flat pedalboard? I've played a very similar Viscount and found the pedals to be acceptable but not really great. More like Hammond B/C pedals than true AGO/BDO style, so if you're wanting authentic pedal feel, you might want to keep looking. Around here, amazingly good organs not much older than that one with true AGO pedals are being offered quite frequently for very little money.

The good news is that you can get it for next to nothing, provided it won't cost you much to transport it. And you can connect it to a computer with minimal fuss. Then if something better comes along, you can shift it to the side and give it away.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Thanks, that is encouraging. I get the feeling it might be quite easy to fix so might have a crack at it. Hopefully I should be able to get it very cheap, and I should be able to transport it for about 40.00 as it's only about 25 miles away.

The owner has just said he doesn't think it has MIDI ports on it, but he isn't really sure. I'm sure they do have MIDI.

I hadn't noticed the pedal board, it will however be a lot better than the single octave pedal board I have on m,y Technics organs, and as you say, if I can get it cheap and can move it aside if something better comes along. Most organs of this style seem to be selling from 500.00 upwards, so if I can get this for a cheap price and fix it I think it will be worth it.

Thanks

Yes. It will be a vast improvement over your spinet organ, and the stops actually sound like classical pipes. While the pedals are non-standard, they at least are sturdy and about the same size as real pipe organ pedals. Just not concave. To be fair, a lot of older pipe organs have flat pedalboards too, so it's not that far off.

I don't see any mention of MIDI on the tabs, but it would be surprising to see a digital Viscount without MIDI jacks, either on the back or underneath the keyboards. Perhaps they are simply "on" all the time instead of switched by a tab. That would actually be preferable for use with Hauptwerk.

But if there's no MIDI you will at least have a much more suitable practice organ than your current one.
    John
    ----------
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches

I found this advert for one on the internet, which seems to be from an Organ shop and it states MIDI, so I am fairly confident it has it.

https://www.france-orgue.fr/orgue/in...oc.fch&ido=473

On later communication with the seller I have found out it isn't his organ, it's his parents, he is selling it on their behalf and he didn't look at it to see if it had MIDI ports, he is just assuming it hasn't as it is old.

It may be even better than I think it is. The one I've played was a re-branded one sold by Baldwin in the US with a different model number on it, and I do know that it sounded really good. But the French one says it has adjustable combination pistons. If that is true, then perhaps the rocker tabs do in fact send a MIDI message and might communicate with your Hauptwerk.

The pedals in the UK ad do look like the one I played. Radiating but flat, not straight like the French version. Touch depth is shallow, but the pedal keys themselves are full-size, certainly acceptable to practice on.
    John
    ----------