Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Struggling New Organist

"Crapwonk", Thank you for your suggestions. Walther has some beautiful pieces.

Another Flor Peeters book every working (i.e, church) organist should have is Sixty Short Pieces, readily available (and, if things haven't changed, rather cheap). The music is printed on two staves and playable on manuals alone, though they sound better when the pedals are used when suggested. So you can use these as manual pieces now, and work in the pedal part as you develop your technique. It also includes several short, interlude-length pieces, which is quite handy if you have a need for such. (I once had a minister who couldn't bear twenty seconds of silence during a service, so I was obliged to fill in the gaps.)

I second myorgan's suggestion of the DeCou/Johnson collections - if they are still in print! (I've had a couple of them for forty years now and still use them some). Also, Lorenz still publishes two or three series of organ music, aimed at different skill levels. These include not only the usual hymn arrangements, but also "dumbed down" versions of "classical" works - organ and otherwise - and also some original compositions.

Thank you Schnarrwerk. Love Decou piano arrangements; will look for the Flor Peeters book online.

I've been meaning to develop some proficiency with the pedal clavier myself, although practice time has been non-existent for a year now. Once I find some, I intend to get back to work on the 8 Little Preludes & Fugues. Perhaps, if you enjoy Bach as I do, you will find these useful as well:

http://files.sheetmusicarchive.net/c...des-fugues.pdf

You can also buy versions quite cheaply with fingerings (footings?) and so on marked in.

Wes

Wes, Thank you for the pdf gift. Previously, I downloaded #1 from IMSLP, but it's very nice to have the entire collection. Thank you.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Try Vierne's 24 Pièces en Style Libre. They're beautiful pieces, written for organ or harmonium, and are very varied. Since use of the pedals is not necessary you can use as many or as few as you like.

Worth buying, but you can find them on IMSLP: http://imslp.org/wiki/24_Pi%C3%A8ces...Vierne,_Louis).

There are also similar pieces by Franck, though they less interesting: http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/...ste_FWV_41.pdf
    Last edited by Peterboroughdiapason; 11-16-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Thank you so much for stopping by with your suggestion of Vierne pieces. Will explore them next.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123