Thread: Pedal board - 4 notes not rersponding

Pedal board - 4 notes not rersponding

On a Johannus OPUS 1100 there are 4 pedal notes, out of 32, not responding. The printed circuit board, at the rear of the organ, holds 8 reed switches for the upper 8 notes. When a rod type magnet is held near a reed switch in turn, all 8 reeds will sound their respective notes, but not when using the pedals. Removing the pedal board shows no apparent problem and all the magnets are in place in each pedal and there is no debris to block proper function. There is no apparent adjustment to position the magnet closer to the reed switch, which is behind a thin baffle board. The pedal board has two pins to hold the pedal board in place. No physical repositioning of the pedal board makes any difference either.

Any suggestions as what to try next?

Hi,

If I read you correctly, the notes not working with the pedalboard are all at the top of the compass, or at least near the top.

Unless Johannus changed the pedalboard switching setup, the switch rail is height adjustable. Will need an Allen key to do it. I think there are 3 places where adjustments can be made, near the bottom, middle, and the top. I have forgotten whether the adjustment is done from the back or from the front.

If the problem is say every 8th note not working, likely a wiring problem.

Usually the is an explanation, and fairly easy to sort out.

AV

Our reed switches are mounted on a strip of printed circuit board so that each reed switch would align to the center of each pedal width. The pcb is mounted on a sloped plywood form and held with small wood screws. There are no adjustments found, neither on the pedals. Each reed switch sounds a note if a magnetized screwdriver is placed near each reed switch at the pcb.

Pedals_X.pngReed_sw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    Our reed switches are mounted on a strip of printed circuit board so that each reed switch would align to the center of each pedal width. The pcb is mounted on a sloped plywood form and held with small wood screws. There are no adjustments found, neither on the pedals. Each reed switch sounds a note if a magnetized screwdriver is placed near each reed switch at the pcb.
    KOC62,

Have you moved the organ lately? Could you temporarily lift the pedalboard a very slight amount to see if that solves the issue? Alternately, you could raise the corner of the organ a bit (to effectively lower the pedals), you might be able to get sound then.

I know on my Allen organs, when I lose a caster either off the pedals or the console, just raising one or the other is enough to either make the pedals sound, or not. It was a surprise to me to learn that a pedalboard either too high OR too low can cause the pedal to cipher. When I replaced a couple of broken reed switches on one of my organs I had the time to experiment, and it was enlightening to discover the reed switch could be activated in more than one location.

Hope you find that helpful.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Thanks Michael for your response.
    No, the organ has not been moved recently but I have removed the pedal board to look at it to see if there was any obstruction. It looked clean. There isn't much to the mechanism so I thought I'd ask in case there was something I didn't think of. I have replaced some reed switches which would not respond to a magnet held right on top of the reed switch. Now all the reeds respond with a magnet held about an inch away from the reed switch. Hence I thought that some pedal magnet may have less strength. But there doesn't appear to be any adjustable means to move a pedal magnet closer to the reed switch. Next week I'll have another go at it and see if I can either raise or lower the pedal board somehow.

Peter.