Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOS 2 Chime card.....or something like chimes

MOS 2 Chime card.....or something like chimes

Hey,

I have done a lot of searching on the forum and reading about the tone cards and different models, etc.

Is there a tone card for a MOS-2 (Allen 225) that will give the closest resemblance to chimes?

Either an Allen card or a "non Allen made" card?

I would be interested in paying for such a thing within reason.

I appreciate you all so much!!

Thanks,
    GH
    Galanti Praeludium I --- home
    Rodgers W5000 --- home
    Rodgers MX200 module --- home
    Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home
    Rodgers Trillium 928 --- church

The "Tubular Chimes Octave Sounding" is the closest I've found. I don't know if there is a non-octave sounding version. I just played them down an octave. Regardless, the result is not very realistic sounding, especially if you're trying to use them for melody rather than an accent note, due to the technology.

The MOS-I users manual references "the tubular chime, chime, and carillon alterable voice cards...", so it appears that they were available. The manual suggests loading into both alterables, using the percussion, setting sustain to long, and voicing to mellow.

The old analog organ trick for chimes were to use sine waves or flutes at 6-2/5, 4, 2-2/3, and 2 with long sustain. If a 6-2/5 card was made, you could try adding that to appropriate flute pitches with percussion and long sustain.

One of the Cornet stops might work, too, or Tierce 1-3/5, Sifflote 1, Harmonic 26th, and Flute 29th 1/4 ft. Play in the lowest octaves with percussion, sustain.

fff Fortississimo davidecasteel's Avatar

2 members found this post helpful.
    One cannot make a 6 2/5' card for a MOS instrument, as it is the 5th harmonic of a 32' pitch; for that matter, it can't be made for an ADC instrument, either. MOS organs can only have cards for stops of 8' or its higher harmonics, and ADC organs are limited to 16' and its higher harmonics.

There was a thread about a month ago that discussed chimes or orchestra bells.

David

Chimes just never were done very well by MOS, and none of the available cards are very good. Seems peculiar, since the old analog Allen organs had great chimes using the trick described above -- wiring together the various flute pitches required and turning on sustain. But, as David reminds us, MOS cannot produce that 6-2/5' tone, which is essential to making a chime note sound like a chime. One of the best things that happened when Allen brought out ADC organs was that we got very nice-sounding chimes, though you had to play them an octave lower than written most of the time.

These days, excellent sounding chimes are found on even low-cost digital keyboards. You can buy a cheap Casio or Yamaha keyboard for $100 that will have about the same chime as an Allen MDS or Renaissance organ. So the low-rent way to have good chimes is to get a cheap keyboard and connect the audio to your organ amps, mount the keyboard conveniently, and use it for your chimes (and for some nice solo stops as well).

The first class way to do it is to have MIDI installed and invest in a good sound module that has great chimes. Even the old original Allen MDS expander had lovely chimes, and of course with MIDI you can use any inexpensive keyboard with a MIDI-IN jack as your module.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    The first class way to do it is to have MIDI installed and invest in a good sound module that has great chimes. Even the old original Allen MDS expander had lovely chimes, and of course with MIDI you can use any inexpensive keyboard with a MIDI-IN jack as your module.
    Admin has a MOS-2 adapter for sale on *Bay, and I believe in the Classifieds section of the Forum. It is a fairly simple addition to a MOS-2 organ, though I'm not sure it will work with your organ. I think it's only for the 305 or above. The Allen Ensemble II MIDI box has a very nice Chime sound as well as a realistic Carillon.

I can't remember where I read this, but somewhere I read that Allen made several fractional cards (still available on their website), which were supposed to be added to the MOS Chimes card to make them sound more realistic. I've never tried it, but your mileage may vary. I know my MOS-2 has 4 Alterables on the Swell, so it might be possible to help the Chime sound, but I've been trying to save up for Admin's MIDI card. One of these years.

Hope this information is useful.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

fff Fortississimo davidecasteel's Avatar

I think when I did the analysis of tubular bells overtones I found that the "hum tone" should be provided by a 5 1/5' pitch--which isn't a harmonic of any standard pitch.

David

The 2 posts following David's post were moved to the Allen Tone Card thread: https://www.organforum.com/forums/showthread.php?4206.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    The "Tubular Chimes Octave Sounding" is the closest I've found. I don't know if there is a non-octave sounding version. I just played them down an octave. Regardless, the result is not very realistic sounding, especially if you're trying to use them for melody rather than an accent note, due to the technology.
    Any ideas on acquiring a "Tubular Chimes Octave Sounding" card? It is not on the Allen site for purchasing tone cards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    The MOS-I users manual references "the tubular chime, chime, and carillon alterable voice cards...", so it appears that they were available. The manual suggests loading into both alterables, using the percussion, setting sustain to long, and voicing to mellow.

The old analog organ trick for chimes were to use sine waves or flutes at 6-2/5, 4, 2-2/3, and 2 with long sustain. If a 6-2/5 card was made, you could try adding that to appropriate flute pitches with percussion and long sustain.

One of the Cornet stops might work, too, or Tierce 1-3/5, Sifflote 1, Harmonic 26th, and Flute 29th 1/4 ft. Play in the lowest octaves with percussion, sustain.
    Any ideas on where to get "the tubular chime, chime, and carillon alterable voice cards..." for MOS 2. They are not on the Allen site for cards.
    Galanti Praeludium I --- home
    Rodgers W5000 --- home
    Rodgers MX200 module --- home
    Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home
    Rodgers Trillium 928 --- church

Quote Originally Posted by gebohmusic View Post
    Any ideas on acquiring a "Tubular Chimes Octave Sounding" card? It is not on the Allen site for purchasing tone cards.
    Any ideas on where to get "the tubular chime, chime, and carillon alterable voice cards..." for MOS 2. They are not on the Allen site for cards.
    If it's not on the Allen site, you'll have to keep an eye out on eBay or the like. My understanding is that Allen is no longer replenishing card inventory.
    Last edited by Admin; 10-09-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast