Thread: Dominion Reed Organ - Age?

Dominion Reed Organ - Age?

I recently purchased this Dominion reed organ, and am just wondering if anyone can help me pinpoint the year it was made. The serial # is 23921.

One manual, 17 stops.

It's in fairly good shape - I had to replace both pedal straps but now it plays with a fantastic sound. Notes inside the case indicate it was overhauled in 1972.

Thanks

IMG_5296.JPG.jpg

Looking at the style and particularly the serial number would place it at around 1894 or 1895.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Great, thanks Nico. Would you happen to know the model number or name?

1 members found this post helpful.
    I am afraid not George. Perhaps Rodney will share in here sometime. He knows more about the Dominions than I do. Meanwhile, enjoy that beautiful piece of history.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

1 members found this post helpful.
    Rodney should be able to tell what Year, Month, and Day it was made, and what the crew had for lunch that day.

Haha Casey... sorry but I will have to disappoint this time

That is an interesting specimen there George! I'm curious about the stops that it has - I'm thinking it would have similar specs/action to my Berlin organ. The case looks like an offshoot of Dominion's "Mozart Gem" style. Unfortunately my research for Dominion has holes in the timeline where I have very little information through the 1890s.

Rodney
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.
    Most of all, be creative, make music and have fun...

Thanks Rodney, the organ came from the Masonic Hall in Whitby, ON. The stops from left to right are as follows:

Diapason
    Viola
    Dulcet
    SubBass
    FlugleHorn
    Bass Coupler
    Vox Humana
    Treble Coupler
    Forte
    Piccolo
    Cremona
    Cello
    Aeoline
    Flute D'Amour
    Vox Celeste
    Pricincipal
    Melodia

Awesome! It has the identical stops as my Berlin - this is good to know. There was a relationship with Berlin and Dominion, especially that the Secretary Treasurer of Berlin used to be at Dominion. Dominion used this action (double valve, qualifying tubes, orchestral sub bass) in some of their larger chapel models but they are very difficult to find.

I know what you mean when you say it has a fantastic sound
    To play a reed organ or harmonium, it helps to disconnect your feet from your brain and connect them to your emotions.
    Most of all, be creative, make music and have fun...

Thanks Rodney that is very interesting - your Berlin sounds great (all your organs do!). By the way - your wonderful Youtube videos are what turned me on to reed organs when I first saw them a few years ago. When I bought this organ a few weeks ago, I replaced the broken pedal straps and the exterior leather flap valves. The organ now plays and sounds great, but the bellows lose all vacuum in about 10 seconds when I stop pedalling. I believe this large leak is due to worn out interior exhauster flap valves. As the reservoir and exhausters are otherwise tight and in great condition (rebuilt in 1972) and the lower action/reservoir is unfortunately glued in place to the sound board, I am trying to decide if it will be possible for me to cut into the exhauster panels from the front to get access to the interior valves.