Thread: Leslie 760 modification

Leslie 760 modification

Hi yall,

I am going to mod my 760 because I need more volume and easier transport...

Advice is appriciated concerning the following:

- Anything regarding ways to split the leslie into two parts, so it will fit in my Saab

- Ways to make the volume louder, new driver is a must I think, and experiences with bi-amping are welcome

- I would like the horn to accelerate and decelerate slower, its the inbetweens that sounds nice to me...

Thank you in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by MetaTapir View Post
    Hi yall,

I am going to mod my 760 because I need more volume and easier transport...

Advice is appriciated concerning the following:

- Anything regarding ways to split the leslie into two parts, so it will fit in my Saab

- Ways to make the volume louder, new driver is a must I think, and experiences with bi-amping are welcome

- I would like the horn to accelerate and decelerate slower, its the inbetweens that sounds nice to me...

Thank you in advance...
    Do you drive a 9-3SS, a convertible, or a 9-5 Sedan? Because all other SAABs (at least if we're talking 1994 or newer) fit a Leslie 760 without problems (I have experience)

If the 760 isn't loud enough for you, it needs a rebuild - not modifications. A 760 that's working right, with the stock woofer and driver, is _VERY_ loud. More than enough to scare off any guitar player.

Haven't got a good answer for #3 - I've never heard that request before. Weighing down the horn seems like the way to do it, but maintaning balance while doing so is a challenge.

Recapping my 760's PSU, amplifiers and crossover made a big difference for me.

hi enor,

A 9-5, but I need other stuff in there as well
    A lot of people talk about replacing the Jensen driver as it supposedly wont last if you blast it at full volume all the time?
    Most digital versions of the leslie lets you decide the de- an acceleration ratio, because most leslies are different. Im super picky with that, and unless i can get a stepless leslie controller (yes, i know), then id really like to have slower accelation...

Quote Originally Posted by MetaTapir View Post
    hi enor,

A 9-5, but I need other stuff in there as well
    A lot of people talk about replacing the Jensen driver as it supposedly wont last if you blast it at full volume all the time?
    Most digital versions of the leslie lets you decide the de- an acceleration ratio, because most leslies are different. Im super picky with that, and unless i can get a stepless leslie controller (yes, i know), then id really like to have slower accelation...
    Yah, but .. the horn?

Most of the neat acceleration effect comes from the drum. And that acceleration is adjustable by means of varying the belt tension.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
    Recapping my 760's PSU, amplifiers and crossover made a big difference for me.
    New power transistors make a huge difference too.

I changed my power transistors. There was an "H" version higher power or something.

Most of the neat acceleration effect comes from the drum
    Yes, definitely...and things start to sound really weird if the horn accelerates and de-accelerates too slowly, IMO. One of my horn-added 120s had an upper motor that took a while to work right if it sat unused for too long and it sounded really strange when getting up to speed until it got loosened up.