Thread: Need help with Rodgers 690 Keyboard Stack

Need help with Rodgers 690 Keyboard Stack

I have a chance to buy a 2 manual keyboard stack from a Rodgers 690 organ. I understand that this organ is digital and has full midi capabilities. What would be required to connect these manuals to a computer so that I can use them as part of a virtual organ? They come with an "interface" (see photos). I have only ever used my Keystation 61es manuals with virtual organ software, and they have USB connections that connect directly to my PC. Thanks.

. s-l1600 (13).jpgs-l1600 (14).jpg

The "interface" is likely a keyboard multiplexer and is of no use to you for your application without the rest of the organ electronics. Likewise, the fact that the organ has full MIDI is irrelevant to your application as well as you are purchasing only the keyboard stack, not the entire instrument.

Of course, if the supplied interface board has some labeling pertaining to MIDI, it might be of use, but you'll want to have a circuit diagram to figure out the wiring.

Most likely though, in order to employ these keyboards, you will have to wire in a MIDI keyboard encoder to provide a MIDI connection, either straight MIDI or MIDI over USB, to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    The "interface" is likely a keyboard multiplexer and is of no use to you for your application without the rest of the organ electronics. Likewise, the fact that the organ has full MIDI is irrelevant to your application as well as you are purchasing only the keyboard stack, not the entire instrument.

Of course, if the supplied interface board has some labeling pertaining to MIDI, it might be of use, but you'll want to have a circuit diagram to figure out the wiring.

Most likely though, in order to employ these keyboards, you will have to wire in a MIDI keyboard encoder to provide a MIDI connection, either straight MIDI or MIDI over USB, to your computer.
    Thanks Admin. So how much work are we talking about here to wire in a MIDI keyboard encoder to these Fatar manuals? Does it jsimply involve connecting the keyboard's ribbon cables to an encoder card, or would I have to connect wires to each of the 61 keyboard contacts and then attach them to an encoder card (similar to converting an analog organ to MIDI)?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeHC View Post
    So how much work are we talking about here to wire in a MIDI keyboard encoder to these Fatar manuals? Does it jsimply involve connecting the keyboard's ribbon cables to an encoder card, or would I have to connect wires to each of the 61 keyboard contacts and then attach them to an encoder card (similar to converting an analog organ to MIDI)?
    It's unlikely that you'll be able to just plug in the existing ribbon cables to an encoder board. The keyboards are likely multiplexed and the best course of action is to find an encoder board that works their matrix configuration. I don't know what that configuration is. It might be possible to bypass the matrices and wire each individual contact to an encoder, but while that avoids the necessity of figuring out the matrix configuration, it's a lot more work and expense.