Thread: Hammond L100 needs CPR

Hammond L100 needs CPR

Since i'm new to the forum, i'll first introduce myself: Thijs, 29 y/o and i'm from holland. I love technique and old music stuff. I started out when i was 13, together with my dad i did a small repair on my record player (an old dual at that moment). After that moment, i tried to fix everything that broke, received old radio's from family and friends (else they would trow it away). Some repairs were succesfull, some repairs ended with a lot of smoke and an unrepairable radio... Several years later i started building some effects pedals for my guitar. Then it really started to get my interest and i started with a single ended 7watt guitar amp. After that amp was succesfull i started a marshall plexi build, which ended up as an ultimate marshall for me (plexi, jcm, boost, fx loop etc). The marshall is nearly done, and the following project is ready for build up. Also do some repair stuff on tube amps for friends if they ask me.Besides the guitar hobby i was (and still am) repairing and restoring old record players. Own a thorens TD165 myself, but do spent a lot of time buying broke record players and have them working again, then sell them for fair prices. So why am i here? A friend of me really wanted to have an organ, and few months ago he had a family member saying he's got an hammond L100 organ somewhere in the garage. We went to have a look, and indeed he got the organ. But it's in not that great shape. It stoot for 10 years unused in the garage. The tonewheel motor capacitor was blown, so the organ was moved from the house to the garage and there it stayed. We have took the organ out and my friend asked me if i wanted to have a look at it if i could repair is. Offcourse i want to, but i have to say my experience with organs is near zero, so i tought i should register here to get some information and tips.So the organ isn't used for 10 years, things that need to be done (please add thing that i need to do before turning this thing on):- Clean out the whole organ, all the dust etc (can this be done with compressed air?)- Find a new capacitor for the tone wheel motor (does this have to be an original? or are there new caps that can be fitted into this place?)- Oil the tone wheels (can i use the lube system for that? or do i have to lube al the wheels seperatly?)- Change the caps of the amplifiers?

I see all enters are gone and all text is put in line, to make it more readable:

Quote Originally Posted by Thiez View Post
    Since i'm new to the forum, i'll first introduce myself: Thijs, 29 y/o and i'm from holland. I love technique and old music stuff. I started out when i was 13, together with my dad i did a small repair on my record player (an old dual at that moment). After that moment, i tried to fix everything that broke, received old radio's from family and friends (else they would trow it away). Some repairs were succesfull, some repairs ended with a lot of smoke and an unrepairable radio... Several years later i started building some effects pedals for my guitar. Then it really started to get my interest and i started with a single ended 7watt guitar amp. After that amp was succesfull i started a marshall plexi build, which ended up as an ultimate marshall for me (plexi, jcm, boost, fx loop etc). The marshall is nearly done, and the following project is ready for build up. Also do some repair stuff on tube amps for friends if they ask me.

Besides the guitar hobby i was (and still am) repairing and restoring old record players. Own a thorens TD165 myself, but do spent a lot of time buying broke record players and have them working again, then sell them for fair prices.

So why am i here? A friend of me really wanted to have an organ, and few months ago he had a family member saying he's got an hammond L100 organ somewhere in the garage. We went to have a look, and indeed he got the organ. But it's in not that great shape. It stoot for 10 years unused in the garage. The tonewheel motor capacitor was blown, so the organ was moved from the house to the garage and there it stayed. We have took the organ out and my friend asked me if i wanted to have a look at it if i could repair is. Offcourse i want to, but i have to say my experience with organs is near zero, so i tought i should register here to get some information and tips.

So the organ isn't used for 10 years, things that need to be done (please add thing that i need to do before turning this thing on):
    - Clean out the whole organ, all the dust etc (can this be done with compressed air?)
    - Find a new capacitor for the tone wheel motor (does this have to be an original? or are there new caps that can be fitted into this place?)
    - Oil the tone wheels (can i use the lube system for that? or do i have to lube al the wheels seperatly?)
    - Change the caps of the amplifiers?

Hammond Oil (turbine oil) in the cups, new cap for the motor (match the values on the cap, European values are different due to voltage), spot oil of it squeals, but give it time(up to a week), many L100 do not need more to get going, re-seat the tubes if static, dust and oxidation can make them noisy.
    I have spot oiled L100 with WD40 but they are plentiful and cheap (or free) around me.
    1956 M3, (2)51 Leslie under upgrade, 860 (130 powered)Leslie with Preamp, S08 Yamaha and two K2000S, Young Chang spinet, Korg Trinity
    and Korg KRONOS X73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

Quote Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
    Hammond Oil (turbine oil) in the cups, new cap for the motor (match the values on the cap, European values are different due to voltage), spot oil of it squeals, but give it time(up to a week), many L100 do not need more to get going, re-seat the tubes if static, dust and oxidation can make them noisy.
    I have spot oiled L100 with WD40 but they are plentiful and cheap (or free) around me.
    For the cap, it says 1.25 630v. But i couldnt find any 1.25uF 630V on the web, closest is 1.2uF. Other option is to wire two 2.5uF in series?

1.2 is close, i would try it, others may take exception
    1956 M3, (2)51 Leslie under upgrade, 860 (130 powered)Leslie with Preamp, S08 Yamaha and two K2000S, Young Chang spinet, Korg Trinity
    and Korg KRONOS X73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

I have an old L100 but don't get to use it that often since it s at my mothers house in the USA and I live in Europe. Last summer I turned it on and it was playing ghost notes by itself and acting strangely. It sounded really cool actually with the ghost notes, a little bit like Keith Emerson sticking knives into the keys to keep them playing while he noodled on other notes. Anyway I enjoyed that for a while but then decided to open it up and see what was going on. Horror! Several mouse nests with crap and pee everywhere! The pee had caused serious rust and corrosion and the mice had made their nests with the fiberglass used to dampen the upstairs amplifiers and the oil drop pad. I thought it was a goner considering the condition it was in, but I cleaned it out as best as I could using a vacuum cleaner. Then I worked on the rust with sandpaper and solvents. I had to remove all the keys and clean those as well as clean all contacts. I use Craig deoxit for contact cleaning with a fiberglass pen. I would not use an air blower! This is probably the worst thing you could do because then the fine dust will get into the tone wheel. I use singer sewing machine oil for the tone wheel and starter motor. Just fill up the two cups, let it seep in while running and fill them up a second time. On the starter motor there are two flip caps - put a few drops in each. Anyway I did all this and now it works perfectly again. What i am trying to say is this machine is over 40 years old, it has never had a new tube or major part changed (except a nos starter capacitor) , it has been neglected, crapped on, peed on, but it still plays wonderfully and no other instrument sounds quite li it! They are practically indestructible!
    In your case I would do the following.
    Clean carefully with a vacuum cleaner and a damp cloth with some detergent or window cleaner etc.
    Do not clean the tone wheel.
    Do not use WD40!
    Make sure there is no dust or junk in the oil cups. (I put small copper screens in mine, available at smoke shops).
    Buy some Caig deoxit and a fiberglass pen to clean any switches, draw bars (top inside) and connectors (usually RCA)
    Remove and clean the tube pins and sockets, here you can use a pipe cleaner or interdental brushes along with the deoxit contact spray.
    Make sure your starter motor is turning (by hand) and not gummed up.
    Buy a new starter capacitor of the same value and install it. You should be able to find one since they are used on so many motors from washing machines to overhead fans and many old record players!
    Fill up those oil cups and lubricate the starter motor.
    Start her up and let it run awhile. Refill the cups a second time.
    Start her up again and play!
    Good luck!
    Lucas