Thread: Slider chests

Slider chests

Hello all,

It's been a couple of months since my last post. Not much progress on my organ other than acquiring a couple of more parts.

Does anyone have experience with Petersons organ systems? I've heard they're pretty pricey.

I've decided that I would need to make my organ with electric action since the space I'm making it in is rather small. I'm aiming to make slider chests so I don't have to deal with buying and wiring the magnets for every single pipe. However my knowledge on electrics is pretty basic. I can't find any information on how to go about wiring a slider chest organ.

I aim to make 2 manuals and Pedals. 3 stops for Great and 4 for Swell. No combination action. No couplers. Will add them later. Will need to make swell controlled by some kind of motor since it will be seperate from the main console.

Can anybody help me out?

Nairne, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Victor222444 View Post
    Hello all,

It's been a couple of months since my last post. Not much progress on my organ other than acquiring a couple of more parts.

Does anyone have experience with Petersons organ systems? I've heard they're pretty pricey.

I've decided that I would need to make my organ with electric action since the space I'm making it in is rather small. I'm aiming to make slider chests so I don't have to deal with buying and wiring the magnets for every single pipe. However my knowledge on electrics is pretty basic. I can't find any information on how to go about wiring a slider chest organ.

I aim to make 2 manuals and Pedals. 3 stops for Great and 4 for Swell. No combination action. No couplers. Will add them later. Will need to make swell controlled by some kind of motor since it will be seperate from the main console.

Can anybody help me out?
    It is your choice however i recommend electric action, you can all ways electrify your slider action but a better option is to have a full electric relay so you can ditch the bulky action and go with a simple direct electric action, trust electricity and all ways plan to expand in the long run, that's would i would do.

Electricity will also help you with your swell action and best of all you can add your combination latter and couplers without having to physically modify the console, the only thing you could do is just at the hardware, buttons and do a tiny bit of programing and Whola! no stress no mess.

Simple!

Nairne, Australia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Madison View Post
    It is your choice however i recommend electric action, you can all ways electrify your slider action but a better option is to have a full electric relay so you can ditch the bulky action and go with a simple direct electric action, trust electricity and all ways plan to expand in the long run, that's would i would do.

Electricity will also help you with your swell action and best of all you can add your combination latter and couplers without having to physically modify the console, the only thing you could do is just at the hardware, buttons and do a tiny bit of programing and Whola! no stress no mess.

Simple!
    https://xkcd.com/1891/

Quote Originally Posted by APipeOrganist View Post
    You know what I get it now, you love mechanical action you think its the best thing in the world and you take the traditionalist route, good for you. But it is plain obvious instead of letting people diversify we are held to the same old same old, no, tracker action or nothing.

no wonder why Robert Hope-Jones got exiled from England, he did not want to conform and paid dearly from it. but without giving something that allowed people who did not want the "The scene" in their everyday life. He opened the door and allowed people seek their own enjoyment with the pipe organ. Why not a theater organ? Hmm? Traditionalist dismiss it as a bleeding nanny goat and must be scrubbed, conform to our baroque needs or pay dearly.

Bach is not the litmus test for all pipe organs, god i minus well be dragged out and be tried as a heretic because i do not regard Bach as the man the ruler over the console. no instead i take the enjoyment of show tunes and "Barbaric Noise" that comes hence forth from chambers of unit orchestras. I love my solo reeds and the adrenaline rush that goes with it.

I rather pry the pipe organ out the cold dead hands trackers and chiffs and give it back to the people to who it got rob from.

if someone wanted a symphonic with electric action then so be it. if the designer wanted election for both big and small, then so be it. i take the exile that Robert Hope-Jones had if it meant that someone got a pipe organ.

good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Madison View Post
    You know what I get it now, you love mechanical action you think its the best thing in the world and you take the traditionalist route, good for you. But it is plain obvious instead of letting people diversify we are held to the same old same old, no, tracker action or nothing.

no wonder why Robert Hope-Jones got exiled from England, he did not want to conform and paid dearly from it. but without giving something that allowed people who did not want the "The scene" in their everyday life. He opened the door and allowed people seek their own enjoyment with the pipe organ. Why not a theater organ? Hmm? Traditionalist dismiss it as a bleeding nanny goat and must be scrubbed, conform to our baroque needs or pay dearly.

Bach is not the litmus test for all pipe organs, god i minus well be dragged out and be tried as a heretic because i do not regard Bach as the man the ruler over the console. no instead i take the enjoyment of show tunes and "Barbaric Noise" that comes hence forth from chambers of unit orchestras. I love my solo reeds and the adrenaline rush that goes with it.

I rather pry the pipe organ out the cold dead hands trackers and chiffs and give it back to the people to who it got rob from.

if someone wanted a symphonic with electric action then so be it. if the designer wanted election for both big and small, then so be it. i take the exile that Robert Hope-Jones had if it meant that someone got a pipe organ.

good riddance.
    I was merely articulating a point. And if you had taken the time to read and absorb my previous posts on the matter, I have absolutely no problem with electronic action of any kind, as it enables an organ to be fitted into a space where no organ could go if it were a tracker. What I am saying however, is that there is no need to abandon old technology merely for the sake of progress. I am a member of my local theatre organ society, and I have no problems with them. I play an extension organ fairly regularly, and a part extension instrument is my home base. I am also saying that performing baroque music of instruments of the period or copies of such instruments is important, because it enables us to here music as it was intended by the composer, unequal tuning and all. It is also, however, important to have instruments of all kinds to perform all kinds of music, whether they are to my personal taste or not. That is why I take issue to mechanical actions being labelled as "redundant" and "dark age tech". To call the mechanical action pipe organ redundant is like calling the acoustic guitar redundant: totally accurate if you only want to play death metal but totally not if you are playing country and western. I mean, can you imagine trying to get a baroque organ into St Paul's cathedral, London? It would be a totally pointless exercise, unless they very suddenly changed their worship pattern and denomination, neither of which are very likely to happen. But, then again, can you imagine installing a theatre organ in Cologne cathedral? It is the circumstance and location of the instrument that decides what it should sound like, and to let anything other than that decide would be wrong. I do not hate electronic actions, and I cannot stress that point enough. If, however, I were to be given the chance to build an organ and a hall to house it in, in whatever style that I chose, then yes, it would be a tracker action instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by APipeOrganist View Post
    I was merely articulating a point. And if you had taken the time to read and absorb my previous posts on the matter, I have absolutely no problem with electronic action of any kind, as it enables an organ to be fitted into a space where no organ could go if it were a tracker. What I am saying however, is that there is no need to abandon old technology merely for the sake of progress. I am a member of my local theatre organ society, and I have no problems with them. I play an extension organ fairly regularly, and a part extension instrument is my home base. I am also saying that performing baroque music of instruments of the period or copies of such instruments is important, because it enables us to here music as it was intended by the composer, unequal tuning and all. It is also, however, important to have instruments of all kinds to perform all kinds of music, whether they are to my personal taste or not. That is why I take issue to mechanical actions being labelled as "redundant" and "dark age tech". To call the mechanical action pipe organ redundant is like calling the acoustic guitar redundant: totally accurate if you only want to play death metal but totally not if you are playing country and western. I mean, can you imagine trying to get a baroque organ into St Paul's cathedral, London? It would be a totally pointless exercise, unless they very suddenly changed their worship pattern and denomination, neither of which are very likely to happen. But, then again, can you imagine installing a theatre organ in Cologne cathedral? It is the circumstance and location of the instrument that decides what it should sound like, and to let anything other than that decide would be wrong. I do not hate electronic actions, and I cannot stress that point enough. If, however, I were to be given the chance to build an organ and a hall to house it in, in whatever style that I chose, then yes, it would be a tracker action instrument.
    Their is nothing wrong with the theater organ if it is large enough their can be an accurate playing of wide variety of repertoire including Bach i might add. Yes i could imagine a theater organ in the cologne cathedral, if you look at the instrument it was built for large spaces, have you heard of stadium pipe organs, same principles.

This is why i worship without instruments, makes praise easier without having to deal with the headaches of having to deal with a instrument just me and my lord nothing else, their is nothing in the bible that tells me that I have to invite a pipe organ into my church all it tell me to give proper worship in the manner prescribed in the bible that is it.

But you do realize the first theater pipe organs were pipe organs just implanted in a theater setting? the unit orchestra came along and replaced that.

You are missing my objections that i have been raising (im going to offend people when i say this) The "church" has no control over to what style of pipe organ that i deem what i want. if i want to play Bach on a theater organ, who is going to stop me? Music is universal its the exception to the rule. pipe organs do not belong to a time period nor do they belong to one church alone. No one is going to walk right in and arrest me for not playing Bach on a proper instrument, that is my freedom.

no music is confined to an instrument alone nor a time period.

Its the circumstances and the location of the instrument that decides what is sounds like.

Sure, tell that to the churches that welcomed theater organs and keep these grand instruments preservation, just saying i mean we are limiting peoples use of a pipe organ because some church forbids "Non Hymns" to played on a pipe organ, that's smart.