Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musical Score to MIDI

Musical Score to MIDI

I've been engaged in some organ repairs and I'm not a musician (but an electronic engineering technologist). I have a rudimentary knowledge of music theory from my '60s high school courses. What I'm interested in is to take a musical score, say from our church's Psalter Hymnal, and enter all the notes into some kind of software which would then create a MIDI file so that I could hear the musical piece on a MIDI keyboard, or MIDI organ.

What kind of software should I be looking for?

Thanks,
    Peter.

1 members found this post helpful.
    You can do that on Musescore. It is an open source notation program. It can be downloaded from here: https://musescore.org/en

Once all of the notes (tempos, dynamics, etc.) are entered, it is possible to export the sheet music in several formats, the audio in several formats, and/or the midi data. I'm not sure how easy it would be to play the midi file through another keyboard or organ (but only because I haven't tried it yet). It might sound a bit rigid because musescore maintains a computationally perfect tempo, but it should give you a good feel for how the score would sound.

Of course, you could always find a good friend (who can read and play well) and ask him/her to make a midi recording for you (that you could then play with on a midi organ or through a midi editor on the computer.)
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

1 members found this post helpful.
    Peter,

I highly recommend Sibelius. It used to come with an optical scan program which would recognize and write the score out, then it could be exported as an audio file, or simply played in Sibelius.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Noteworthy Composer http://NoteWorthSoftware.com

Record play from a Midi keyboard

Varous options on inputting notes etc.

Can playback and see the notes heighted on the music score

I've used this program for years

Can also get noteworth scored music online and play it back

Thanks clockiemusic. I'll have to look into that. I've also took a peek at "Band-in-A-Box", which may do a similar function.

Peter.

2 members found this post helpful.
    Band in a Box is a totally different thing! It provides a backing band on your computer, hence the name.

Musescore is the cheapest, ie. free, way to do this. Sibelius First is good value if you want better looking scores. The scanning function in Sibelius is the entry level Photoscore. OK if the source music is perfectly printed and legible - a nightmare if not. Often quicker to input the music manually.

Playback from a notation app is going to be a bit robotic and, until you play out for the full versions, or buy third party sound libraries, is of mediocre sound quality. But it will be OK if all you need is an impression of what the piece sounds like.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

I offer a vote for Musescore because the scores are quite decent and itís free and offers plenty of features. Although I donít think it can scan a score and turn it into notation (I think there might be an associated service though).

The free app Audiveris apparently can do what you want with a music score but Iíve never used it.

If youíre concerned about score quality, since youíre an engineer and tech-minded Iíd recommend the free but most excellent Lilypond. You work with a score at the text level rather than graphically, but the default typesetting is superior to the default typesetting of programs like Sibelius and Finale.

Finally, there is professional app for iPhone/iPad called Notion which is an exceptionally good mobile notation app. Iíve used it for years and itís been very useful in specific circumstances (such as composing away from home but needing to print a score). I usually export my Notion scores to MusicXML into Lilypond for the best output, but the Notion scores are certainly good enough on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by rjsilva View Post
    I offer a vote for Musescore because the scores are quite decent and itís free and offers plenty of features...
    Thanks. I use Windows, so I will need to look for an Android emulator to use this app. I still use the landline phone, no cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    Thanks. I use Windows, so I will need to look for an Android emulator to use this app. I still use the landline phone, no cell phone.
    Why not just download the Windows installer for the program? No emulator or app required: https://musescore.org/en/download

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Well, how about that! When I googled it I landed on an Android app version thinking that was it.
    Thanks for pointing me in the proper direction, Michael.

Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast