Thread: Wurlitzer Series 20 Organ and model 40 Tone Cabinet - Possible Sale

Wurlitzer Series 20 Organ and model 40 Tone Cabinet - Possible Sale

I have a Series 20 organ (two manual, 32 pedal, switched reeds) and associated Model 40 tone cabinet (dual 4620 amps, 4 speakers, motor driven tremolo paddles) that I have owned for about 40 years. I am now deciding what to do with it and am wondering if there is anyone who has a strong interest in purchasing it complete. It will not be given away but I have not decided on a price yet and am still considering various options which include:

1. Sell complete as-is. It has not been turned on in about 15 years so there is definite risk in doing so. For this option the buyer would have to agree to complete the purchase before turning it on (if they intend to do that without refurbishing the electronics first). When last used, it was in fairly good overall condition. Virtually all reeds and notes worked. One speaker was unplugged while in use by a relative because it was making a constant noise (I have not looked into this problem). Some key contact wires are worn through and broken off but the remaining wire was still making contact.
    2. Sell complete after I do the refurbishing (replace capacitors and selenium rectifiers and who-knows what else). A service manual is on order. As an (older!) electrical/electronics engineer I have considerable experience going back many years with tube type electronics.
    3. Either of the above two options plus provide transport to your location. This organ is amazingly modular (Wurlitzer made incredible stuff) and I have dismantled it multiple times to move it to at least 4 different locations (college apartment, uncle's, back home, etc.). All the panels come off, electronic chassis' can be removed and the complete "wind chest" comes out. There would be a base cost plus per mile charge (I'm in Virginia). Or you could just hire a moving company.
    4. Keep the manuals. pedal board and swell/crescendo pedals for other organ projects and sell various remaining components. I especially would not want the console (too big) and possibly not the bench. The electronics would probably be refurbished first so their value and operation would be established. I'm not sure what would happen to the "wind chest".
    5. Convert the whole thing to MIDI with modern electronics. For this project I would, again, not want the console, not sure about the tube electronic or speakers.

So, if anyone is interested, has questions, or just has some information/comments/advice to offer, please let me know. Sorry I can't be more specific at this point.

I have a Wurlitzer Orgatron Series 20 and at least one other member has a Series 25 which is the same organ internally, but has a less ornate cabinet. You can search these threads for information. There are other members who love the sound of the ES generating system in these types of organs. I retrofitted mine with MIDI and VOP and left all the original equipment intact. This organ has been my home practice instrument since 1985, but now as a retired church organist, it's seldom used. Rectifier was rebuilt and caps replaced in the pre-amp. When I do run through a piece of music, I usually just use it as a powered reed organ; no electronics. I'll be pleased to answer any questions.
    Lloyd

Happily retired organist/pianist from the Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK
    Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO) with Leslie 45 tone cabinet
    Hammond BC Serial #5070 with Leslie 31A tallboy tone cabinet
    A.L. Swan antique pump organ C.1852 Cherry Valley NY
    Stephen minister and member of the Lutheran Church (LCMS); traditional worship.

Thanks! I have now received the service manual from Morelock's Organ Parts. Wow, its amazing that they still have it available - truly impressed. So, for now, I plan to work on getting the electronics working and documenting the voltages/currents needed for the reeds - just in case I go ahead with converting the whole thing over to full midi control (console functions and reeds).

Congratulations on getting the manual! Got mine in 1985 and have used it to death (as they say). Always checking up on something or another. It's got tons of useful and accurate information in it. You'll have fun working on the instrument no mater which direction you finally take. Please keep the Forum informed regarding your progress. Page #24 gives detailed tricky instruction on how to remove the barreled fall board if you've never had to do that before. This gains access to some of the switching assemblies. Good luck in your repairs and/or documentations.
    Lloyd

Happily retired organist/pianist from the Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK
    Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO) with Leslie 45 tone cabinet
    Hammond BC Serial #5070 with Leslie 31A tallboy tone cabinet
    A.L. Swan antique pump organ C.1852 Cherry Valley NY
    Stephen minister and member of the Lutheran Church (LCMS); traditional worship.