Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting An Antique Pump Organ.

Transporting An Antique Pump Organ.

I may be purchasing an 1895 Lyon & Healy 15-stop Chapel Reed Organ located 100 miles from my home.

I don't want it to ride in the open in the bed of a Pickup Truck, so I'll be renting a U-Haul Cargo Van with a rubber floor and tie-downs.

What do you think?

Hal, age 81.

Hal,

It will probably have wheels (of sorts) under it, so you can wheel it into the van and then use a tie-down strap to secure it against the side of the van (with padding between the wall and the organ & elsewhere where appropriate). If the top comes off, that piece can be laid down on the floor, but the organ will probably be able to sit upright.

Sounds like you may have gotten a good one!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Hal, I've carried three different organs in U-haul dual-axle trailers - I like the low lift-over height. Dunno about those little vans.

Being a chapel model, it probably doesn't have a lift-off top, so the music rest can just ride.

When was the last maintenance and bellows recovering performed? Has it been in a church?
    -- I'm Lamar - Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) - Still haven't found the headphone jack...
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Hi Hal and congrats on your find!

Like Lamar says, chapel models normally do not have tops but one never knows. Post us a picture will ya?

I have man-handled some hefty brutes, mostly single-handedly and have learned a lot in the process. If you can avoid it, do not transport the organ on its back. Most parlor and some other models do not mind and one can up-end them without harm but I did a "on its back" hauling with my big old Mannborg and found most of the bits and pieces on the floor inside the organ when I unpacked. Better to keep it upright, well tied down, especially since there will likely be two wheels under the one long side, usually the back side.

Good luck!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Hey Silken Path:

Those "little" vans are quite spacious. Nine feet long and really high inside, with wide rear and side cargo doors. I don't like trailers, not knowing how to maneuver them and I've been driving for 65 years. I don't have a trailer hitch anyway!

I would lay the organ down on its back on the rubber floor. It would be less than two feet high in that loading and wouldn't even need a tiedown.

The seller says her husband inherited the organ when his grandparents died, and nobody knows the history of it.

They don't know where it has been, or if any maintenance has ever been performed.

It's just a gamble, and priced at $200, but i want it because it has 15 stops, including a Sub Bass, Which Is Mandatory!

Hal

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the loading advice, Nico!

Now how do I post a picture? I post them all the time on my Senior Citizens Forum, but I never saw a picture displayed on the Organ Forum.

Hal
    Last edited by HiDesertHal; 08-30-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiDesertHal View Post
    Now how do I post a picture? I post them all the time on my Senior Citizens Forum, but I never saw a picture displayed on the Organ Forum.
    Hal,

To post a picture, first make sure the picture(s) is/are on your computer. Then, click on Reply to reply to this thread. At the bottom of the input window, you'll see a box next to Submit Reply that says Go Advanced. Click on Go Advanced, and below the editing box, you'll see a section in Additional Options called Attachments. Click on Manage Attachments, and you should be able to upload your photo(s) there to bring them into the thread. You don't necessarily need to insert them inline. Personally, I just click on Done once all the photos I want to include are in the bottom area. There is a limit of 5 photos per post, so be sure you plan accordingly.

Best with your new organ.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Tried posting a pix several times...no workee.

HiDesertHal

- - - Updated - - -

I'll follow the steps again, as indicated by the Moderator.

Hal

Ha. I thought we WERE the senior citizen's forum. :0

Hal, don't lay it down unless you have to. You'll end up with spare parts and no clue where they came from. If you transport it standing up, the parts MAY fall straight down and give you a clue.

I've still got some wood parts that I haven't found a home for yet, and I transported it upright in the back of a pickup. (Around 285 in Atlanta and through spaghetti junction.)
    -- I'm Lamar - Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) - Still haven't found the headphone jack...
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Quote Originally Posted by HiDesertHal View Post
    Tried posting a pix several times...no workee. HiDesertHal I'll follow the steps again, as indicated by the Moderator. Hal
    Don't feel badly, Hal.
    Those are amongst the most poorly-written instructions I have ever read. I DID manage to post a picture or two a while back, but it's just easier for me to post to Flikr and provide a link here. It must be easy here *once you understand it,* 'cause a lot of the members do it. I think I have a mental block from reading the stuff about it... and I ain't eggzaktly illiterate !
    Cheers !
    Roger Memphis
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Michael...for $200, I'll be surprised if it's a "good one"!

Hal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast