Thread: Leon Berry

Leon Berry

Leon Berry was an organist at the Hub Skating Rink in Chicago, playing a Wurlitzer Theater Organ.

He also had a pipe organ in his home, called "The Beast In The Basement".

He made record albums of both organs in the 1960's.

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by HiDesertHal View Post
    Leon Berry was an organist at the Hub Skating Rink in Chicago, playing a Wurlitzer Theater Organ.He also had a pipe organ in his home, called "The Beast In The Basement".He made record albums of both organs in the 1960's.Hal
    I got two of his records, good player adds percussion and lays it down on the pedal compared to others who use Percussion sparingly it's a totally different style compared to others.

Leon Berry has cost me tens of thousands of dollars! If I hadn't purchased his LP album "Beast in the Basement" (in the sale rack for $1.99) when I was a sophomore in college I probably would never have gotten into theater organs and automatic musical instruments. I would have been happy playing my mom's Hammond M-3 spinet for the rest of my life. Sigh.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

I tried my darndest to make a circa 1959 Lowrey Holiday sound like Berry's records (save the traps and bells) when I was a kid in the '60's. Couldn't ever do it.

Even now, all this time later, my phone ringer is his El Relicario recording.
    John
    Allen MDS-317 at home / Allen AP-16 at Church / Allen ADC-3100 at the stake center

I am another big fan of Leon Berry. I also am a big fan of Wurlitzer Organs period. I do realize there are other theater organs that sound quite well also, but I can always tell when I hear a Wurlitzer. Hammond does sounds cheap compared to some of the nice electronic organs that the various companies build over the years.

James
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models