Thread: Conn Theatre Organ Model 640

Conn Theatre Organ Model 640

Hello to all,</P>

I'm new to the forum and have a message to post. I have just acquired a model 640 Conn Theatre Organ. I'm not an organist and I'd like to sell this one. Can anyone help me with this? I have no idea what it's worth or how to go about selling it. Any information would be helpful and most appreciated!! Thanks redfire.</P>

Re: Conn Theatre Organ Model 640

Hey redfire! I just bought a Conn 640 off ebay for $100. Where are you located? I've seen them on craigslist also. Check out the Bone Doctor's website, maybe you'll decide to keep it!</P>

For all you organ folks,I also have a question about the 640. My pedal clavier has a problem. When you play the pedals they slowly slide from one note to another,and sometimes won't change at all. The Tibia 8 stop also seems to play a note when flipped down. Help!!!</P>

Good luck selling redfire!</P>

Post the problem under Home Organs or Electronics, and see if one of our Conn techs, like twnelson, doesn't have the answer!</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

ArtBaldoni - When you say "the Tibia 8 stop seems to play a note when flipped down......" do you mean a note plays even when you aren't pressing a pedal? If so that would indicate that one of the contact fingers for the 8'tibia is bent out of adjustment for that particular note. If memory serves me right the 640 and other Conns of that series had three pedal contact fingers per note, one for the 16" voices, one for the 8' Tibia, and one for the 8" Accomp to Pedal coupler. The old Conns of that vintage had a lot of little problems with the pedals usually having to do with the pedalboard not being properly seated on each end or the organ setting on thick carpet and gradually sinking in too far. So try setting each end of the organ on a 1/2" thick furring strip if its setting on heavy carpet, make sure the pedalboard is properly seated on the retaining stubs/hooks on each end of the console bottom, and get a flashlight and check the contacts in the bottom of the console. Get a vacum cleaner with the crevice tool and make sure all the lint, paper clips, debris etc is cleaned out of the pedal contact area. There is a metal stub on each end of the console bottom where the pedalboard hook latches. It has a rubber grommet about the diameter of a garden hose. Make sure those are in place. They frequently dry out and fall off. If they are missing you can make replacements easily from..................what else!!,.....a piece of old garden hose! Lastly, take the cap off the back end of the pedalboard and make sure all the screws holding the pedals to the spring are snug, and check the adjustment on the coil spring under them to make sure they aren't too loose. If they are too loose they could be flopping and causing pedals to play inadvertently. Good luck. Don S.

Redfire - The 640 dates back to 1963 and continued to 1968. It is a tube organ but oddly because of its transistorized keyer system had more transistors than most organs of that era claiming to be "transistor organs." [] The late Don Baker of New York Paramount theatre fame was working with Conn at the time and had a lot of influence in the design and voicing of the 640. They were great organs for their time. That notwithstanding their current value is nil as are most organs of that age. Time and technology has marched on and the home organ market has plummeted to boot! Its basically "worth" whatever you can get someone to pay you for it which is reality is probably going to be no more than a couple hundred dollars if its in good shape and doesn't need any repair. You can advertise in Classified ads under the piano/organ class if your local paper has one, or in your local "shopper" freeby type papers. You can place a free ad in Craiglist on the internet if you live in a large metro area that has Craigslist covering that area. You could also donate it to a small church or one that doesn't have the budget to buy a new organ. A lot of the Sr. Citizen complexes get donated organs. (yeh, I know there's an 'almost' joke there!) Good luck. Don S.

dstory- Thanks for all the great info! I could tell this was the place to getsound advice(pun?)[8-)]. No grommets on the mounting pins, will try the hose approach. I also think it has to do with the pedal mountig but everythig obvious seems OK. </P>

Hey ArtBaldoni! Thanks for the info. I'll certainly do some more research before I decide what I'm going to do with it. I live in rural Arizona near Show Low so there are not many options for advertising. I do have an e-bay account so that might be the best way. I appreciate your help thanks!![]

<TABLE class="" id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    <TBODY>
    <TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%">
    <TD class="" id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">dstory thank you so much for the great info! This might prove to be tougher to get rid of than I thought. I'll certainly keep your advice in mind. []</TD></TR>
    <TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
    <TD class="" style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>