Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your most "Joyous" piece

Quote Originally Posted by cearley View Post
    Myorgan, Michael, the Masterpiece Theatre theme is

"Rondeau" by Jean-Joseph Mouret (1682-1738)
    Thank you, I knew someone would remember it! My problem is I have so many pieces running through my head, I only remember them by style and/or genre, rather than composer or name. However, before I do a concert, I make sure to learn everything about a piece BEFORE the concert. I'm old--my brain leaks!

Michael

P.S. I love the M&H photo in your avatar!
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

A few more suggestions:
    Bach: In Dir ist Freude (from Orgelbuchlein)
    Buxtehude: Toccata in F (BuxWV 157) – without the fugue?
    Clérambault: Caprice sur les grands jeux (from the Suite du deuxieme ton)
    Handel: La Rejouissance (Fireworks Music) – not an organ piece, of course.

And some which I think are really "joyous", but which I wouldn't play before a service:
    Bach: Gigue Fugue
    Dubois: Toccata in G
    Michel: Sortie (Petite Suite in Blue) in “Jazz Inspirations for Organ 2” – a very exuberant piece!
    Karg-Elert: Marche Triumphale: Nun danket alle Gott
    Rutter: Toccata in Seven
    Tambling: Sortie (from “New Music for Organ Book 1”, published by Kevin Mayhew)
    Widor: Finale from Symphony No 2

How about Dupré's B-Major Prelude?

That's another one that is usually used as a postlude, which seems a waste, given how much work is involved and how few people pay attention.

Well, I was pushed into an early debut of the organ due to a "pop-up" wedding. I hear this man, who rarely comes to church, tell the pastor that he wants to talk to him about getting married on Sunday before last. I was told Wed. night after Choir practice that we were having a wedding on Sun. As the couple had no money, he was tacking it on the regular service. He didn't tell any others in the church. I told the correct ladies and they decorated the church and scratched up a pot-luck reception and cake.

I decided that I needed to play Organ for it. It would make it more "special". I opened the service with "Rondeau" by Jean-Joseph Mouret as the Prelude. Thank you 'MyOrgan' Michael for the suggestion. It was fitting. The offertory was an improvisation on "New Britain". I used the reeds to start it as a bagpipe playing in the distance. As soon as the Sunday Service was over, the wedding began. The wedding music was the traditional Wagner and Mendelssohn. I played nothing in between. The nuptials were thrown together by the pastor and he made a mess of it. Why? ikd. He was reading it. We are not sure if the groom is the one married to the bride or if the pastor really is. Lol. They hadn't even had a rehearsal. The Church is going to talk to him about his "slap-dash" rituals. i.e. spur of the moment Baptisms and joining of new church members. He has been a Methodist Minister for 40 odd years. You'd think that he would understand the importance of the rituals.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, thank you to everyone who made suggestions. Every piece mentioned were/are excellent choices. I will make use of them at later dates.

Cearley,

Glad you survived, and I'm glad to know the suggestions worked out! Sometimes keyboard-only pieces can sound good as well.

I got to practice my organ last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. It was fun! I may use your suggestion of New Britain for the future. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Myorgan, of course you may use my idea. I got several compliments after the service.

I didn't see Fantasie in E flat major mentioned yet. Its a good one.
    Allen 530A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12