Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammond E series Choke

My model only has the one choke, which has been rewound wrong after burning out. The amp had a burnout caused by bad caps and lack of fusing.

You might want to call Mike Smokowicz at TrekII and ask about what (if any) components can be used to substitute the choke, or chokes, as I would strongly recommend replacing both of them, which is why Mike sells them as a pair. Was shipping really that expensive? Also, since power supply failures are typically a cascade event, I would take a good look at the rectifier tube, its socket, and all the filter caps, even the wiring. You're looking for anything that would degrade the circuit's performance: poor rectification, leaky caps, old or cracked solder joints (especially involving ground connections), burnt wiring, etc. Hope this helps. Also, the installation of a fuse is a great safeguard against future cascade events. Off hand I'm not sure what the fuse's rating should be, but I know there are people here that can give you that info.
    Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Wright Sjaak from Musifix.nl an e-mail, he is the one ho can provide parts, he has his company in the netherlands, i don't think shipping to the UK is that expensive.

Thanks, I have done pretty much all you have mentioned, I have also spoken to Mike Smokowicz, he was unwilling to disclose the choke specs, the price would be quite silly, and could get sillier with customs duties, if I had the specs, I could buy, or have one made locally.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll check it out.

fff Fortississimo David Anderson's Avatar

No one who sells specialty aftermarket components is going to hand out the specifications of a product he sells so that you can buy it more cheaply elsewhere. I wouldn't even ask that kind of question of a business owner.

Someone who understands tube circuits well should be able to figure out what you need -- or what will work -- from the circuit and the size of the original choke.

There are people in the UK with this knowledge.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Quote Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
    No one who sells specialty aftermarket components is going to hand out the specifications of a product he sells so that you can buy it more cheaply elsewhere. I wouldn't even ask that kind of question of a business owner.
    As you stated earlier, the value can be measured with an Inductance meter, or an Impedance bridge. I didn't realize this was top secret information. As Mikes reaction to shipping costs was "ouch", it is something I felt appropriate to ask, as there are not that many Hammond organs in the UK, compared to the US. I have already shelled out for a transformer rewind, so can't really justify paying around 200 Pounds for a filter choke, all I'm trying to do, is save another Hammond from landfill. Thanks for your help, I'll find the answer eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by jakobsongs View Post
    As you stated earlier, the value can be measured with an Inductance meter, or an Impedance bridge. I didn't realize this was top secret information.
    ...but you can't measure it if it's burned up and open.

I don't believe it is "top secret," any more so than values of other components... it's just not readily available
    because chokes are more specifically selected for the particular piece of equipment into which they are designed,
    and are usually more permanent in their values.

By the way, according to the schematic you provided in post #5, there are two chokes, not just one.

I presume that you have replaced the fuse as shown. So, why don't you try using the primary side of a 40 VA
    doorbell transformer that matches the mains voltage in your area? All the choke really does is smooth
    out the ripple by the opposition from its expanding and collapsing magnetic fields... not rocket science in
    this application. Just check the resulting voltages against the schematic. It has worked nicely for me.
    Cheers !
    Roger Memphis
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Memphis View Post
    ...but you can't measure it if it's burned up and open.

I don't believe it is "top secret," any more so than values of other components... it's just not readily available
    because chokes are more specifically selected for the particular piece of equipment into which they are designed,
    and are usually more permanent in their values.

By the way, according to the schematic you provided in post #5, there are two chokes, not just one.

I presume that you have replaced the fuse as shown. So, why don't you try using the primary side of a 40 VA
    doorbell transformer that matches the mains voltage in your area? All the choke really does is smooth
    out the ripple by the opposition from its expanding and collapsing magnetic fields... not rocket science in
    this application. Just check the resulting voltages against the schematic. It has worked nicely for me.
    Cheers !
    Roger Memphis
    Thanks Roger, my E-262 is an earlier model, it was later on that they swapped the single choke to 2 smaller ones combined in series, adding up to the same value.
    I think I'm on the right path now, thanks to David Anderson, he has kindly taken the time to provide me with some useful information,
    Cheers,
    Jakob.

P.S Yes, I have now installed a 1A fuse (230v), if only I had known it did not have any protection 6 months ago!

Quote Originally Posted by jakobsongs View Post
    Thanks Roger, my E-262 is an earlier model, it was later on that they swapped the single choke to 2 smaller ones combined in series, adding up to the same value. I think I'm on the right path now, thanks to David Anderson, he has kindly taken the time to provide me with some useful information,
    Cheers, Jakob.
    Great!
    David has a wealth of knowledge and is often too busy "taking care of business." I'm glad you got some good input from him.
    Roger
    C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
    CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

2 members found this post helpful.
    Hi There,
    That choke looks small. Don't think you have to worry too much about how many henrys it is. The physical size more or less determines that. Just get something that fits in the space and is rated for the B+ voltage and current. If you can't find that, you could always work around it using a power resistor instead, with some reduced regulation.

Here's a good place for audio transformers...

http://www.hammondmfg.com/153.htm

All the best,
    Christine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast