Thread: Moving a Lowery LX510 Majesty

Moving a Lowery LX510 Majesty

An LX510 has been donated to our club but im not sure of the best way to handle getting it out of the house. I found wooden handles when I removed the back cover. Can anyone give me some guidance. It will be moved from a street level into our clubhouse which had 5 steps. I will have 2 dollies.
    Thanks for Any help you can provide.

Have enough people! You know how big and how heavy it is, so the more hands the better. Going up steps can be made easier if the organ goes up at a similar angle. So one end is held under the keyboards and with the back hand hold, while the higher end is held at the bottom of the cabinet. Easier to do than explain!

I'm sure our regular 'heavy lifters' will chip in with more advice, such as hiring a proper Roll or Kari.

One thing you may have to do once it's been placed in situ, is to check that none of the inter-board ribbon cables have worked loose in transit. The symptoms will be obvious. Organ not working at all, or partially working, making odd noises etc.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

If you can get enough hands, Andy's advice is good. Careful with shins, toes, arms elbows, fingers etc. If it readily fits through the doorways (take careful measurements first) it can be done. The many hands and muscle can load it upright on the back of a van, open truck or trailer. dolly wheels help a lot but careful not to tip the organ either way..... I have moved many a heavy brute single-handedly by simply careful forward thinking, scheming and planning......

Take good care of Her Majesty.... (pun fully intended....)

Good luck and please let us know how it worked - pictures are always welcome too!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

My experience of moving Lowreys echos the above points. Not sure where you are but if in the UK it will not fit easily through our doorways and will have to be put on its side and turned carefully through the doorway. My prestige only just fit through even using that method! Be careful of the top heaviness of Lowrey cabinets and finally if it has the spinet type pedals don't put a piano trolley underneath as it will bend them (metal) I would recommend moving it on its side at all times! Finally enjoy as they are a wonderful instrument

If it's n the uk, and was originally supplied by Allens Music Centre, you may find that it has been split as I understand they do this because the larger Lowreys are too wide to pass through standard uk doorways unless they are upended. If you take the back off it should be obvious if it has been split.

Thank you all very much for the tips. Im in New Jersey USA and, luckily, the doorways won't be a problem. But does anyone know how those two wooden polls I found when i removed the back coverare utilized? They pull out to a certain point and seemed to me to be strong enough to use to lift with. And one last question. Should I need to remove and replace the mixer board, how do I gain better access. I don't see where it slides out in any way.

I'm not sure about the mixer board but the wooden poles are handles to lift the organ with and yes they are safe to use

Hi All

Just moved a Lowrey Stardust from a house to mine and after careful measurements before arriving on the day, and removing the front and inner door, the outside door frame was only 3mm wider than the organ. The inner door frame was too small, so we had to remove the door jams on both sides.

With the aid of a small ramp 1.5 inches high (12mm MDF Board) to go inside the house, I made a Metal Ramp for the outside step ( about 6" high) and a Wheeled platform for the organ to sit on. cost nothing to make, but was well worth it on the day

With 4 men, one on each corner, we lifted it on to the Wheeled platform, and did not even bother to strap it down as it was then rock steady and easy to move.

although the first end went through OK, an over enthusiastic helper of the seller just pushed it through without much care, so a little repair work to the wood finish will now be required, which i was not very happy about as it would have gone through OK with a little more care

trolly2-sml.jpg scrape-sml.jpg
    Last edited by StarGazer; 08-12-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling