Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ

Thanks again. I was cleaning with a soft brush trying to move the dust/crud toward the vacuum but didn't have a nozzle small enough to get any closer. Whew - I would have jumped right in there. My latest adventure: found a hole in the bellows, a really obvious hole. Said "Hmm" and put a handy piece of duct tape on it. The next time I played it, that side of the organ was groaning. Rigged up some mirrors to watch it, and the side I'd "repaired" was pulling in faster that other side...

By the way, what does the "Celeste" do? When I select it, the organ gets louder and the missing D sounds again. I see that it picks up the muting shutters just like the crescendo lever does. The organ, in fact, is LOUD. I'm amazed at how loud a people-powered machine can be. Of course, some people can ride a bike 100 miles...
    -- I'm Lamar - Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) - Still haven't found the headphone jack...
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Quote Originally Posted by Silken Path View Post
    Thanks again. I was cleaning with a soft brush trying to move the dust/crud toward the vacuum but didn't have a nozzle small enough to get any closer. Whew - I would have jumped right in there. My latest adventure: found a hole in the bellows, a really obvious hole. Said "Hmm" and put a handy piece of duct tape on it. The next time I played it, that side of the organ was groaning. Rigged up some mirrors to watch it, and the side I'd "repaired" was pulling in faster that other side...

By the way, what does the "Celeste" do? When I select it, the organ gets louder and the missing D sounds again. I see that it picks up the muting shutters just like the crescendo lever does. The organ, in fact, is LOUD. I'm amazed at how loud a people-powered machine can be. Of course, some people can ride a bike 100 miles...
    Celeste
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10B3e3k6CVs

Thanks, John. That was helpful.

Back to reed organs, um, I know what the celeste effect is on pipe organs and digital organs where two pipes have a slight offset that produces a beat. But do reed organs have two sets of reeds just to provide the celeste?
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) - Still haven't found the headphone jack...
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Quote Originally Posted by Silken Path View Post
    Thanks, John. That was helpful.

Back to reed organs, um, I know what the celeste effect is on pipe organs and digital organs where two pipes have a slight offset that produces a beat. But do reed organs have two sets of reeds just to provide the celeste?
    Yes they do. As you go, you may also find other very interesting and creative inventions the old folk designed to produce beautiful music. The Vox Humana is just one such creation. Others have tremulant valves which produce a quivering effect and is quite striking.

Use your duct tape to secure a reverse shaped funnel to the end of your vacuum hose. Make the small end about 3/4 to 1" in diameter and long enough to reach those inaccessible areas. I used a sturdy piece of rigid plastic pipe which I flattened on the front end and cut at an angle. Split it lengthwise a little way to fit over the vacuum hose if necessary and seal with tape. It works like a charm....

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Good idea. Spent some time today working on the stool. It's one of the circular ones that you spin to raise or lower. It doesn't match the organ, but it has claw feet grasping a ball. Kind of Gothic. In other news, my ultrasonic cleaner should arrive today. I've been sort of wanting one for a long time. This is a good excuse. Plan to use the warm, but not hot, apple cider vinegar and Dawn (which worked on the ducks and water fowl after the big BP spill) dish detergent method of reed cleaning. Then I might just go nuts cleaning other things. We'll see... Yes, I know to rinse the reeds in clean water immediately after taking them out of the vinegar. I also picked up some neutral colored microfiber cloths to tenderly wipe them.

Rather than a home brew, I would try this: http://www.esslinger.com/zenith-radi...tion-1-gallon/

Thank you! Minn. is a ways off from me, but I ordered a gallon.
    Last edited by Silken Path; 07-05-2017 at 10:54 PM.

I would be careful with any acidy kind of stuff on reeds. If you really have to, test it on something else first, such as the reeds from a busted mouth organ or harmonica. The old organ reeds are precious and although it may seem so, they are difficult or even impossible to replace. Wire and wood one can make again but not so easily with reeds.... Just my own thoughts...

How about some pictures?

Take care
    Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Hi, Nico. I've seen vinegar used to clean brass and copper. The acidity of apple cider vinegar is only about 5%. I've used a lot of it over the years because I like to make pepper sauces - 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% rice vinegar is shelf stable. I have a few bottles that are ten years old now. The watch-cleaning solution that SB suggested will be what I'll try, though.

Pictures? Sure, when I get something to document. Right now, it's just an old Kimball. One of 403 thousand made.

You guys are being great. Thanks for the support!

Today I took apart and re-glued the back panels that were falling apart. The old organ is either sounding better as I play it or I'm getting used to it. The Zenith cleaner solution is on its way - thanks, Subbase.

Nico - an interesting factoid - the Hammond Reed Organ Company reed-stamping machines were bought by Estey.

I'm somewhat amazed how many people call the company that made this organ "Kimball Chicago" I guess because it says that on the front. I interpret it as "Kimball, Chicago" and NOT part of the company name.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast