Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1899 Kimball Parlor Organ

Knee levers revisited

I'm still a little bemused about the knee levers. They are 10 3/4" apart when just touching the hooks on each side. My knees together are about 9 inches wide doing that Huckleberry Finn thing...

Speaking of dresses, here are some notches in the windchest made by someone, most probably the possessor of those size five feet that left the imprints in the carpet shown on the first page, routinely holding the volume lever open to two particular positions...

I suppose I will be able to learn to keep my knees somewhat together when pump, pumping... but that (1) still seems mighty close together, and (2) makes for aiming at the insides of the pedals.
    -- I'm Lamar - Rodgers W5000C - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) - Still haven't found the headphone jack...
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Perhaps they were meant to be operated by one knee only. In such fashion the one knee will be between the levers and the other on the outside. You might want to check if the levers are dead center with the pedals, that might give you an idea of which knee goes where.... Or maybe the levers were meant to squeeze inwards? Either that or the old folk were a lot smaller that us giants of today.... They fed us well.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Could be - I do like my vittles. The thing is that those notches represent the right-hand lever being moved right another inch or so, and, judging from her foot print, she wasn't a large human. Interestingly, that first notch position barely opens the swell shutter. There are no corresponding marks on the crescendo side, so I think she may have routinely pushed toward the right, maintaining some pressure on the swell shutters. (Maybe her room was a lot bigger than mine...)

The levers are in the correct places - mounted on the cover over the pedals at the extreme edges. I'll get this down.
    -- 1899 Kimball pump organ (forum thread) - Still haven't found the headphone jack...
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Interestingly (or maybe not if you're an old hand at reed organs), the Diapason and Flute forte stops do the same thing as the swell knee lever. One can even finesse them in and out to vary the loudness.

Here's a video of a youngster playing a Kimball like mine.

Last edited by Silken Path; 08-08-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carter View Post
    I would certainly recommend an original, sloped bench, as it automatically makes you adopt the correct posture. Enjoying your organ discovery: power to your elbow(s)! Regards, Mark.
    Wow, Mark. I see what you mean. After experimenting with getting the gothic-looking claw-footed stool high enough, I tried my Conn's bench with a couple of boards under the back of the lid. It's an inch or so too high, but it got me moving back on the Kimball's pedals, lower in and further back than I've been playing. This, um, quietened the hinges down a lot. (This live and learn stuff just kills me.) Thank you again, Mark.

So, I'll need to find or make a pump organ bench. This evil stool can support a planter or something.

Instructions for Taking the Kimball Organ Apart

I was able to take the pieces of the instruction label inside the organ and assemble them somewhat on a homemade light table. Here's what the label originally said:

1. Remove two screws in the keyslip (fretwork in front of and below the keys), and lift it out.
    2. To remove the lid or fall-board, turn the buttons on the button-hinges in the frame.
    3. Disconnect all the connecting strips from stop-action to action proper, including grand-organ connections ; then take out the two screws holding the stop-action on the key-frame, and lift out the stop-action.
    4. To take up the action and reed-board, remove all the round-head screws around the edge of the reed-board, and the flat-headed screws in under side of wind-chest in the front, and lift out the action and the reed-board.
    5. After the organ has been taken apart, to put it together again, follow these directions in reverse order.

Reassemble in reverse order of disassembly.

Next I'm going to work on the warranty certificate. It was folded into quarters and stapled to the inside of the organ, so it's in four pieces now.

I'd like to align the parts and frame it, since the date and receiving party's name is clearly visible. A problem I have is that the parts are trying to curl up (before I can press the glass down) and are fragile. What would be neat would be something slightly sticky that I could use to locate the pieces and then put them under glass, yet inert/inactive enough to leave for the next hundred years or so. (Or the second coming, whichever comes first.)

Has anybody worked with similar stuff like this before? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Silken Path; 08-19-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Kant spiel

Quote Originally Posted by Silken Path View Post

Has anybody worked with similar stuff like this before? Any suggestions?
    HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE! You have in your hands a piece of history - classic history and are indeed fortunate to own an instrument that has been preserved together with the documentation as you describe. Please try and preserve it well. And do not neglect to post some pictures.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Alas... Plumped my rumpus on the claw-footed stool, and it split down the middle where the screw enters the lower platform, dumping me most indecorously in front of a listener who actually had a request... (that was not "stop playing").

Here is a picture of the original 1899 warranty certificate, which was folded up and stapled inside the organ.

In other news, I managed to glue the split lower surface and loose legs together on the claw-footed stool. Now I need to develop some confidence in it again. My plan is to construct the Mason & Hamlin bench #3 which has plans floating around.

Here's one actually in use. This is Michael Hendron playing on his 1915 M&H in Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, while not being sure to wear some flowers in his hair.

Mr. Hendron is an impressive organist.

mp Mezzo-Piano Pipeorganbuilder's Avatar

Thank you for the fantastic video! What a sound from a reed organ.

Michael

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast