Thread: Voicing

Voicing

Okay so a question which answer I have not seen anywhere yet, would it be possible to voice a rank of pipes that speak on 4" of pressure to speak in 3"? I would assume that all that is needed is an enlargment of the toe holes and maybe some refining in the windhsheet opening but I wouldnt know since im not am organ builder. If left as is then do the pipes just speak slightly more flat than theyre supposed to?

fff Fortississimo Menschenstimme's Avatar

The short answer is YES to both questions; but it is not that simple.
    The pipes need to speak promptly with the correct attack, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor222444 View Post
    Okay so a question which answer I have not seen anywhere yet, would it be possible to voice a rank of pipes that speak on 4" of pressure to speak in 3"? I would assume that all that is needed is an enlargment of the toe holes and maybe some refining in the windhsheet opening but I wouldnt know since im not am organ builder. If left as is then do the pipes just speak slightly more flat than theyre supposed to?
    I am not an organ builder either but it seems to me that it would be easier to supply the "needed" 4" of wind by whatever means that is accomplished (different blower, bellows, etc.) than re-voice each pipe. If that can't be done because it would negatively affect other ranks on the chest, then IMO the outlier rank is of no use whatsoever.

mp Mezzo-Piano VaPipeorgantuner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victor222444 View Post
    well, there may be more to the job than just opening up the toe holes, altho that would likely be part of the process. The real answer is that it depends on the way the pipes are presently voiced. It could be that the cut up might be too high, the nicking treatment not correct, the placement of the languid and the upper lip, ears or no ears, and the timbre of the pipes (for example, string pipes would be more challenging than flute pipes of metal or principal toned pipes). This is not particularly a job for an inexperienced person, especially if the pipes belong to someone else.

If left as is, the only way to know what they would do is to try a few, but they will probably be pitched fairly flat and the timbre duller on lowered pressure.

Rick in VA