Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammond A-100 and Leslie 710 Hookup

Quote Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
    spinet usually indicates unbalanced signal, consoles are balanced
    ... unless it's an A-100, which has good provisions for both.

Quote Originally Posted by enor View Post
    ... unless it's an A-100, which has good provisions for both.
    I have one of each. A100/147 or 760 uses unbalanced and an A102/222 which is a balanced rig.
    Both are great sounding but the unbalanced has more volume/headroom than the balanced hookup.
    Even though the balanced hookup is a little quieter with a little less hum when left 'wide open' it lacks the
    overdrive and total volume of the unbalanced hookups.
    For jazz and recordings the balanced hookup works best for me and for rock/blues the unbalanced works best.
    Some acts are louder so the 760 unbalanced hookup is the solution for me especially on outdoor stages.
    Overall the 147 is still my favorite Leslie with the most overdrive of the lot!
    The 760 has the most headroom and the 222 has the tightest sound for recordings.
    Differences are noticeable between all three types. All useful in different situations.
    A100/147 B2/147 A102/222 M102/145 M111/145 L133/770 1937 Northern Hammond(third one built) BCV/122 NordStageEX88 Yamaha MOX6,Neo Ventilator
    Radial J type DI's ,Mogami Starquad wiring ,Yorkville Powered Speakers,Allen+HeathMixWiz3,Soundcracft LXII7/24,SWR Pro220 bass amp,Fender ProReverb

Your "wish list" doesn't include MEE control, so you can IMO forego a kit and wire up as I've posted. Might not have been in this thread, but it was recently.

Either of those switches look like they can be made to work. If you don't want to screw into the front of the organ, you can use stick-on velcro.

The headphone jack is really a completely separate problem and I would treat it as such. But you're not going to want to forego a Leslie when you have one!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Your "wish list" doesn't include MEE control, so you can IMO forego a kit and wire up as I've posted. Might not have been in this thread, but it was recently.

Either of those switches look like they can be made to work. If you don't want to screw into the front of the organ, you can use stick-on velcro.

The headphone jack is really a completely separate problem and I would treat it as such. But you're not going to want to forego a Leslie when you have one!

Wes
    Thanks Wes, I appreciate your guidance, as well as everyone else who's contributed! I believe I've enough confidence in the outcome to proceed. I'll hunt down the parts I need, and hopefully soon will get my Hammond and Leslie paired up.

One final question (for now). The amphenol male connector on my Leslie somehow had the pin guide busted off (which means the cable can be inserted incorrectly. I know with care, and perhaps some alignment marks painted on the plug and socket, I could get by, but I want to go ahead and replace that plug as well while I'm at it. Am I correct in assuming that amphenol 9 pin Leslie plugs are universally one style, and can be fitted equally well to a cable or used to repair the defective fitting on my 710?
    The Survivors:
    Technics GA3 (free), Technics F-100 ($250), Hammond XH-273 (free)

Awaiting My Attention to get Paired Up:
    60' Hammond A-100 (free!) Church duty, certainly not "minty"
    Leslie 710 ($80)

Moved On:
    '58(?) Hammond M3 (free), Technics G7 ($35), '65 Hammond E-112 ($250),
    '58 Hammond S6 ($60), 80' Yamaha 415I (free)

Failed Rescue Attempts, Brief Encounters:
    '81 Hammond Elegante, Hammond XTP, Gulbransen President

Yes. They are all the same. Glad to be of help.

Wes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123