Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adding toe studs to an Allen ADC-4500

Quote Originally Posted by samibe View Post
    I had a chance to work on my organ again last weekend. I routed a slot into the back of the toe stud rails that will give me some flexibility when it comes to running the wires from the studs to the relay/DM board.
    Sam,

Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you just wire them to the corresponding piston on the piston rail? That's what I did with my ADC-4300, and except for a few mistakes soldering (I still need to fix), the new toe studs work great! Just a thought.

I tried tracing pins on the rail you pictured, but there was so little documentation for my organ, I was unable to wire them to that rail reliably--so I opted for the pistons.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Michael,

I'm planning on doing that for the general pistons that I will double with some of the toe studs. I'll wire the general toe studs as a second switch to the general pistons the same way you did in your thread.

Currently, my Acc divisional pistons run both the Acc and Ped stops, but it seems to do it by sending the same signal to both the Acc and Ped divisions (which are separate) on the DM board. I don't want to just duplicate the Acc/Ped pistons with the other toe studs. I want to separate them so that the Acc pistons run only the Acc division stops and the divisional toe studs run only the Pedal division stops. It's looking more and more like it is a matter of running the divisional toe stud wires to the Pedal division pins (which currently have nothing wired to them) on the relay board (see picture) and then moving the "Ped to DM board" wires (red or yellow wires in second picture) from the Acc/Ped pins to the Ped pins on the relay board.
    IMAG2841.jpg IMAG2836.jpg
    It might also be possible after I've figured out the divisional wiring to run the general toe stud wires to General pins on the relay board (which might keep things cleaner behind the piston rails).

I don't have much information about the relay board either, but I'm planning on checking several things with my multimeter to make sure I'm understanding the wiring correctly. Maybe by the end of this project I'll be able to put together a wiring diagram for piston to DM board wiring.
    Sam

Yamaha P22 (not enough pedals)
    and an Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.

I had a chance this weekend to run some tests on my DM board. I figured out why it is a four division DM board but has the Acc and Ped divisions combined. As it turns out the percussion stops (that can be played by the Acc or Ped) are controlled by the fourth division plug J84 (along with several general tabs). I also worked out which stops correspond to which pin sets on J81 (Acc and Ped) and J84 (Percussion and Misc) plugs.

So, it looks like it will be a little more than just moving wires around on the relay board. I'll have to do that, but I'm also thinking of switching all of the pedal stops on J81 and the Acc percussion stops on J84. I think there will be enough pins and it wont mess up the Misc stops. Before I get that far, I will need to figure out a few other things. I'll post my findings when I have a chance to enter them into excel and fill in the gaps.
    Sam

Alright here are the results of my DM board tests.
    J80 - Input
    J81 - Acc/Ped
    J82 - Great
    J83 - Solo
    J84 - Perc and Misc

J80 front and back (showing most of the jumpers (ties in the spreadsheet)).
    IMAG2964.jpg IMAG2971.jpg

Spreadsheet data for J80, J81, and J84.
    DM01.jpg DM02.JPG DM03.jpg

I need to look at my notes again about J84 because I'm off somewhere on my spreadsheet. I'm not sure if the Celeste Tuning tab is on pins 29/30 or 27/28. I'm planning on moving some of the Acc percussions from J84 to J81 and moving the Pedal stops from J81 to J84.
    Some of the pins on J84 are not controlled by divisional pistons (Celeste and Trems). If I were to rearrange the stops on J84 and move the General stops (Celeste and Trems) to different pins, would they still change with only the general pistons or would they start changing with divisional pistons too?

If I were to trade stops between J81 and J84, do I also need to make sure that the divisional wires from the SAMs Power Supply also go to the correct (traded) stops?

P.S. The plug division and stops on each plug were determined empirically. I found out that if I unplugged one of the division plugs (J81-J84), turned on the organ and pushed Cancel, all of the stops in the unplugged division would go down and all of the other stops would go up. I also found out that by jumping a pair of stop pins on a plug and pressing cancel caused that particular stop to stay active while all of the others were cancelled. (If I jumped pins 5 and 6 on J81 and pressed cancel, then the Pedal 16' Tuba tab stayed down and all the rest cancelled.)

Edit: Celeste tuning is at 27/28 and 29/30 is an unknown stop (It might be a fillerblock or the blank tab next to the Celeste tuning that is not controlled by the CA).
    Last edited by samibe; 08-29-2017 at 12:04 AM.
    Sam

Sam,

I'm not sure it will help, but I can send you a stop/piston matrix for one of my organ, which might shed some light on the subject. Let me know if you're interested.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Thanks Michael. I'm very interested and I would really appreciate it.

I keep taking pictures and trying to figure out how my ADC works. It seems like every time I open it up and take more pictures I learn something new about it and then need more pictures to answer new questions. It does seem to yield its secrets with effort. So, I keep at it.
    Sam

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234