Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding toe studs to an Allen ADC-4500

My board will allow you to do that, but you'll have to find that extra connector and move the pedal stops off their current connector to it and wire the toe pistons accordingly.

Thanks Admin.

I was going through some of the pictures I took of everything in my organ and now I'm a little confused.
    Here are the photos of my DM-3 board (excuse the glare my phone's lens is cracked):
    IMAG2347.jpg IMAG2348.jpg
    It looks like it says that it is a four division board and it has five 70-pin connectors connected to it. So, I'm not sure if Allen used a four division board but combined the pedal and accompaniment (because my model didn't come with toe studs) or if the board is actually a three division board but needed a sticker because it is in a four division organ.
    If the first is true then it is just a matter of me figuring out how and where to connect everything to get it to run all four divisionals separately (once I get the toe studs installed).
    If the second is true then I'll have to wait until I do the midi upgrade to separate the divisional controls.
    Let me know your thoughts.

Sam
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 (not enough pedals) and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen Protege LD-34

If one adds toe switches to duplicate the same functional switches already on the console, do the console switches have to be disconnected? Can they be wired in parallel?
    How does a new organist know how the toe switches are wired with the same name switches on the console? Is there a convention to follow?

That's a four division board. I assume then, that they are jumping the Acc and Ped pistons inputs so that the pedal stops are controlled from the ACC pistons. If that's the case, remove the jumpers and connect your toe studs.

The piston inputs are on the J80 connector.

ACC pistons are on pins 7,8,15,16,23,24
    Ped pistons are on pins 9.10,17,18,25,26

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    If one adds toe switches to duplicate the same functional switches already on the console, do the console switches have to be disconnected? Can they be wired in parallel? Of course they can, and this is how they usually are.

How does a new organist know how the toe switches are wired with the same name switches on the console?
    You don't. The first time you hit the toe stud for Pedal Divisional 2 expecting the same combination that you set earlier on Pedal Divisional 2 on the piston under the Great manual you will know that the inputs to the combination action are not simply paralleled, but independent. As for conventions, I don't know, what I can say from experience is that it is not common for the Pedal Division toe studs to be independent of the Pedal Division pistons. Not on Classical style consoles that is, the 'convention' for Theater style consoles may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    I don't know, what I can say from experience is that it is not common for the Pedal Division toe studs to be independent of the Pedal Division pistons.
    On the Allens I'm familiar with, there only studs for the pedal division, no divisional pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    On the Allens I'm familiar with, there only studs for the pedal division, no divisional pistons.
    Ah...interesting. I play mainly pipe organs. Almost always you have Pedal Division pistons to the left of the Great (or Choir if it is a 3 or more manual console) Divisionals. Most digitals I have played have not had any toe pistons at all. Those that did have them were Rodgers instruments that I played rather infrequently and paid much more attention to how many General toe studs were available . Only rather recently have I extended my technique to the point of programming Pedal Divisionals for use in performance. I was forced to this out of necessity since the instrument I am playing has zero memory levels. Agh. It's been quite the learning curve.

Thanks again Admin.

I'll check on how the accomp and pedal were combined and report back.

Sam
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 (not enough pedals) and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen Protege LD-34

The reason I was asking is because our Johannus Opus 1100 church organ has added (i.e not original) toe switches for SW-GR, GR-PED and SW-PED. On the console the same name switches are also there. I haven't verified the wiring but suspect they're wired in parallel. Hence the question of how a visiting organist would use them if it's not a conventional way to wire them this way. How else would it be done if the organ has no other place to detect the toe switches?

SW-GR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    You don't. The first time you hit the toe stud for Pedal Divisional 2 expecting the same combination that you set earlier on Pedal Divisional 2 on the piston under the Great manual you will know that the inputs to the combination action are not simply paralleled, but independent. As for conventions, I don't know, what I can say from experience is that it is not common for the Pedal Division toe studs to be independent of the Pedal Division pistons. Not on Classical style consoles that is, the 'convention' for Theater style consoles may be different.
    AFIK, all Pedal Divisional pistons are separate from the Great. I know on some of Allen's earlier MOS organs, the Pedal Divisional Pistons were to the right of the Swell Divisional Pistons. Then came the toe studs, which were never duplicated on the manuals, as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I think what brought this up is that the OP is going to add toe studs, but if I recall correctly, he has a self-contained console (the ADC-4600 manual is here: https://www.allenorgan.com/www/suppo...C3600-4600.pdf, but there is no ADC-4500 manual that I can find.). I've never known Allen to have toe studs for the self-contained consoles until they added them on the most recent technology and raised the speakers up a bit above the pedals to accommodate the change (see the current Chancel line here: https://www.allenorgan.com/www/produ...17a/cf17a.html).

I'm sure I'm wrong, but I hope that helps people find the information they need.

Michael

P.S. The ADC-4600 indicates it can have MIDI, so I'm not sure where you stand there. Probably Admin's product would work best for you.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast