Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ten Hymns We Should Stop Singing

fff Fortississimo davidecasteel's Avatar

1 members found this post helpful.
    I'm with steverose on this. Some of the "old Hymns" were not intended to be scriptural, but to address needs of the singers. Some years back the UMC purged all the first-person "I, Me, My" Hymns from the Hymnal, because it did not think the congregants should be thinking only of themselves. I think it was a mistake, because there are times when it is important to think about "Jesus is MY Savior" and "I was washed in the blood of the Lamb". We all have those situations and it is comforting to sing those Hymns. Who knows how many, on any given day, are finding the need for just those sentiments and find support when the congregations sings those Hymns? Granted, they should not be used all the time, but my church seldom sings any of them at all, and I think that is reprehensible.

Back to the OT--I nominate "Sanctuary". I go elsewhere on "Senior Sunday" at my church because I don't want to throw up during the service (the youth just love that "song"--it's not a Hymn). There are a couple of others they prefer that I just can't stand (can't even think of their names right now).

I wish we'd sing much more Fanny J. Crosby Hymns (she wrote more than 9000, 2500 more than Charles Wesley)--they are good for the soul. Who cannot relate to "Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow"? Forgiveness and Justification are not passť concepts.

David

Interesting reading. And a thought crossed my mind in the process:

If we who partake (on this Forum and more particularly this thread) could get together and have a church service I cannot help but foresee complete chaos! Just think about it: Who will get to play the organ? Who will conduct the sermon? Who will be singing in the choir? And most important, what hymns, if any will we sing?

Often times I wish the world were a lot smaller so we could get together for some serious chin-wagging and swaps and meets and.... but for any attempt at our own "Forum Church" I'd tend to stand back a bit......

Would be nice to sing "Rock of Ages" with you fellas though.....

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12