Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you love Reverb?

Do you love Reverb?

This question is geared toward players who have played in large theaters or large Halls.

How much Reverb do you like in your playing? I was listening to Tony F. play in the Manchester Free Trade Hall and i think that the Reverb and the acoustics made the instrument sound bigger then the rank count.

I think that when the theater organ is allow to have that big rolling sound it sound more real to the real deal. But I want to know from others what their opinion of how much reverb you think is great or what is too much much.

I do like reverb on theatre and classical pipe organs. I've played a few home pipe installations and they just seem way to dry for me - give me the large auditoria that they were intended for, every time! So on electronic theatre organs or virtual organs, I like my reverb turned up a bit!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    I do like reverb on theatre and classical pipe organs. I've played a few home pipe installations and they just seem way to dry for me - give me the large auditoria that they were intended for, every time! So on electronic theatre organs or virtual organs, I like my reverb turned up a bit!
    Everything sounds better with it.

I have always been a fan, but a friend of mine absolutely hates the stop.
    Until The Next Dimension,
    Admiral Coluch.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Car View Post
    I have always been a fan, but a friend of mine absolutely hates the stop.
    Sorry I was speaking in the context of acoustical environment in which the pipe organ speaks into but I will extend the conversation to VPOs

I like as much reverb as possible without everything getting too muddy. If I can control the amount of reverb, it seems to turn into a balance between getting enough reverb to sound amazing but not so much reverb that the notes run together and make it hard to hear all of the effort I'm putting in. I'll turn the reverb up on slower songs with lots of rests and pauses, but turn it down for faster pieces. I only really use the reverb on the organ at church. My home organ's reverb is not real great and has some 60Hz hum that is annoying when playing softly.

Sam
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 (not enough pedals) and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen Protege LD-34

Quote Originally Posted by samibe View Post
    I like as much reverb as possible without everything getting too muddy. If I can control the amount of reverb, it seems to turn into a balance between getting enough reverb to sound amazing but not so much reverb that the notes run together and make it hard to hear all of the effort I'm putting in. I'll turn the reverb up on slower songs with lots of rests and pauses, but turn it down for faster pieces. I only really use the reverb on the organ at church. My home organ's reverb is not real great and has some 60Hz hum that is annoying when playing softly.

Sam

weird do you own a digital system id get that checked out something is leaking or some crossover somewhere sounds like it too me.

At least in the digital domain you have (or should have) control over room size, decay length, reflections etc, as well as the wet/dry mix, so you can have a very clear 'main' sound but with a decent amount of reverb but at a lower level. Akin to moving the mikes (or ears!) closer to the pipe chambers or further away.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Madison View Post
    weird do you own a digital system id get that checked out something is leaking or some crossover somewhere sounds like it too me.
    Fixing the reverb on my organ has been a lower priority. So, I don't know for sure whether my organ has a digital reverb unit and I haven't taken the time yet to track the hum down. I've just noticed that there is only hum when the reverb tab is down. I probably won't get around to troubleshooting it for a few more months.

Sam
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 (not enough pedals) and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen Protege LD-34

Hi Ben

An interesting question that can often stir up strong opinions from either end of the spectrum. Tony Fenelon is a great musician and I am privileged to call him a friend having contact for more than 30 years. Tony will get the best out of any instrument he plays.

When you say you feel "Reverb" (the size of the auditorium) "makes this organ sound bigger than it is", are you referring to the number of ranks compared to a concert or cathedral pipe organ?
    Keep in mind that a "Theatre" pipe organ is on much higher wind pressure than a classical pipe organ making them definitely louder, and "Theatre" pipe organs are highly "Unified" meaning that each rank of pipes can play at multiple footages or octaves at the same time.

There are some people who have developed their love of Theatre Organ listening to radio programs and then later records of Studio Theatre Organs. These were further carried on by the likes of Buddy Cole and George Wright who also recorded on organs in a "studio" setting. These have minimal reverb.
    Theatre Organs in Theatres also have minimal reverb due to the plush furnishings in the room.

Theatre type organs were and are also installed in some larger venues like baseball stadiums and skating rinks but recordings of these are not as common.

I am a member of TOSA-Q (Theatre organ society of Australia - Queensland division) www.tosaq.com.au Our "Christie" Unit Orchestra is in a fairly large venue with hard walls and floor. It performs fast and loud at the console and has a good dose of reverb from the space, particularly when the hall is empty.

I personally do like some reverb. I can't stand an electronic or virtual instrument totally dry, but it needs to be judiciously applied.

Regards
    Rick
    Rick Whatson
    Brisbane - Queensland - Australia
    http://tcptechnology.com.au/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast