Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to get a handle on Lowrey's AOC from the early 1980s

Folks,

Tomorrow's supposed to be a hot day, so I thought I'd stay inside and record the Lowrey DSO-1's AOC and how it functions. I tried it out tonight, and the Leslie is working again--not sure how or why, but in the winter it wasn't. Probably the humidity.

It'll be tomorrow afternoon, but I'll have recordings and explanations. It was really odd to me--in some cases I could get it to play a 7th chord, but not in all cases. I also observed it did inversions on its own as the melody went up the keyboard. More tomorrow.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Looking forward to hearing what you find out!

Quote Originally Posted by stefanv View Post
    Looking forward to hearing what you find out!
    Stefan,

Well, here's the recordings. I hope they help you.
    • AOC-CMajor-Chromatic.mp3—The notes of the C Major chord are played on a Melodia 8’ on the Lower manual. I then turned the Melodia 8’ off. Then, I played a C Major scale on the Upper manual while holding a block C Major chord on the Lower manual without any stops. After, I played a C Chromatic scale on the Upper manual while holding a block C Major chord. For the rest of the octaves, I played a C Major scale for the remainder of the compass. The only extra notes you’re hearing are the AOC chords.
    • AOC-Pure-HarmonicMinor.mp3—The notes of the C Minor chord are played on a Melodia 8’ on the Lower manual. I then turned the Melodia 8’ off. Then, while holding a block C Minor chord on the Lower manual, I played a C Pure Minor scale on the Upper manual, followed immediately by a C Harmonic Minor scale on the Upper manual for the remainder of the compass. The only extra notes you’re hearing are the AOC chords.
    • AOC-AmazingGrace-LowF.mp3—I played Amazing Grace using Flutes 16’, 8’, 4’, and 2’ in the melody, while holding a block F chord in the left hand with no stops on the Lower manual. I threw in relative minor chords so you could hear the difference.
    • AOC-AmazingGrace-Leslie.mp3—The same as prior, except with the Leslie speaker on.
    I hope this helps. If you need anything else, please be precise in what you want to hear (i.e. stops or no stops in a particular manual), and I'll try to record it ASAP.

Michael

P.S. I'm finding out my organ isn't aging as well as I'd hoped. I may have a surround that needs to be replaced, etc. So, I may need some help with possible issues once I've recorded and posted them elsewhere in the Forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Some initial findings, but first, can you confirm that the first C Major scale that you play in the first recording is without any block chord?

In the second C Major scale and the harmonic scale, I'm seeing the following, where the parenthesized note is the melody note, and the others are the notes added by the AOC:

G (C) E
    G (C#) E
    G (D)
    G C (D#)
    G C (E)
    G C (F)
    G C (F#)
    C E (G)
    C E (G#)
    C E (A)
    C E G (A#)
    C E G (B)
    E G (C)

Does that seem plausible?

And here's what I've discerned about the minor chord:

G (C)
    G (D)
    G C (D#)
    G C (F)
    G C D# (G)
    G C D# (G#)
    G C D# G (A#)
    D# G (C)

Are you sure you played a harmonic scale on the minor recording? I'm only finding the scale notes.

Does that seem plausible?
    Stefan,

The first C Major scale was without the left hand holding the block chord in root position. The second C Major scale was with the block chord. I was holding the lowest C major notes in root position on the Lower manual the entire time, while playing the melody note. It appeared if the melody note was (C), the AOC added the E, and G below the note played (i.e first inversion). When the melody note got to (E), the AOC added the G and C below the note played (2nd inversion). When the melody note got to (G), the AOC moved the notes to C and G, thereby creating a root position chord (like you indicate in your chart).

Your observations are also correct regarding the A# and B. The AOC added the other 3 notes, in effect, making them a Major/Minor 7th and then a Major/Major 7th. After playing the first octave as a chromatic scale, I then reverted to Major, so you could hear the inversions as the scale ascended the keyboard.

Good ear!

Michael

And here's what I've discerned about the minor chord:
    [snip]
    Are you sure you played a harmonic scale on the minor recording? I'm only finding the scale notes.
    If you listen closely, I played the Pure Minor for the first octave (C, D, Eb, F, Ab, Bb, C).

For the 2nd and 3rd octave, I played the Harmonic Minor (C, D, Eb, F, Ab, B--NOb, C). My idea was to play the Melodic Minor for the last octave, but I didn't think of it until I was already playing, and didn't want to re-record it, so I decided to go with the Harmonic Minor, since the Melodic Minor is so rarely used.

Hope that helps. You can clearly hear the breaks as the chord ascends inversions. It almost sounds like Mixture breaks on a classical organ.

Michael

PS. I'm currently working on a new organ-top synthesizer based on a Raspberry Pi, and was considering adding some of this functionality to it. I'm quite impressed with the Pi, having found that with carefully written software, it can easily handle 128 note polyphony while doing synthesis (not playing back samples) in real time. I'll be sure to share my project here when it's completed.
    I've just completed the hardware part of the synthesizer project, and have posted a brief intro here: Raspberry Pi Based Organ-Top Synthesizer

There's still lots to do on the software, such as experimenting with AOC as we've been discussing here.

There's still lots to do on the software, such as experimenting with AOC as we've been discussing here.
    Stefanv,

If you need something in particular recorded, just describe it for me (or write it out), and I'll record and post it.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12