Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: A Prelude and fuge I composed

That's a start, but you still need to explore harmony and counterpoint. Until then, there are too many other errors that need fixing.

And for what it's worth, the Cornet can be used in the middle or low end of the keyboard, though the stop itself doesn't always go that far below middle C. Examples:
    -- Couperin - Mass for the Convents - Benedictus. The Tierce en Taille (Cornet) goes down to the D below middle C.
    -- de Grigny - Organ Mass - Gloria - Recit de Tierce en Taille. The Cornet goes down to the A, an octave and a third below middle C.

A Cornet is not part of a standard fugue registration.

How many fugues by other composers have you looked at, listened to, or played?

Funny, this website said to only use the cornet in the right. http://www.organduo.lt/home/32-organ-registration-tips
    But I do have compositions where it goes to the A an octave and a 3rd so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy67716 View Post
    Funny, this website said to only use the cornet in the right. http://www.organduo.lt/home/32-organ-registration-tips
    But I do have compositions where it goes to the A an octave and a 3rd so that's good.
    The author of that website is both correct and wise to say "tips" rather than "rules".

Also from the website: I've never seen "Plein Jeu" spelled "Plain Jeux". "Plein Jeu" is the singular form; "Pleins Jeux" is the plural. I will cut the author some slack as I assume that neither English nor French is his first language. Still, one would hope that someone with a Doctorate in Organ would know the difference. It's also possible that someone else did a translation on behalf of the author. I did find reference to "Plain Jeux" in a quote in Fenner Douglass' book, "The Language of the French Classical Organ" (p. 103) where he quotes a text from 1688. I did find a couple other references to "Plain Jeu" (singular) but they seem to be the exception.

I've not done a comparative study of French Classical and German fugues, written for organ, but I suspect that they are two different creatures. This would allow the Cornet to be used in the one, but make it a poor choice for the other.

I found out some more about counter point melodies. I have read that the majority of the intervals should be unison, thirds, fifths, sixths and octaves (Conconance) . In form one the notes are the same length and must be at the intervals stated just before. In form 2 one line will have two notes to one in the other line. The first note in a bar has to be conconant The second one doesn't have to be. In form three there are four notes to one. The first and third or forth notes have to be conconant the others don't have to be. Form four has tied notes going over the bar that are suspended. There can be non conconant notes if they aren't harmonic. Form five is a combonation of the four.
    Should I be strictly applying this information to my fugues?

I made this fugue to make a little more sense by making a forth voice subject.
    https://musescore.com/user/10553021/...owoptions=true

The reason I somehow ended up using cornets in my compositions is because I thought they would be good for echos.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011