Thread: Tyros 4 to play hauptwerk

Tyros 4 to play hauptwerk

Hi.
    i own a TRX Tyros 4 and would like to connect it to my Apple Mac pc to play hauptwerk.
    whats the best way to connect a tyros 4 to play through a mac?
    do you use the USB socket from the tyros straight into the pc or do I need to use a 5 pin midi to USB adapter?
    Many thanks

You connect via USB straight from the keyboard to the computer. Remember that you will have to download and install the Yamaha USB MIDI driver for the Mac. That's here: http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/ Make sure you install the correct one for your OS.

There has been some talk on a few forums about the upcoming release of the next Mac OS (High Sierra) messing things up as far as MIDI is concerned. Check this out before updating your OS! Also worth checking to see what audio latency you're going to have, you ideally want this to be down to a few milliseconds. I never use Macs so can't advise you on what to do there, I'm sure we have some Mac experts. And the Hauptwerk forum should give you answers on that.

If you use something like the free Paramount theatre organ, you should be able to play the Great and Accompaniment manuals, plus the pedals. Not 100% sure if you can use the key split to play the Solo manual.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Hi again
    i don't want to sound a donut but my mac is running. macOS 10.12 Sierra.
    the pc is 2010 year.
    i can't seem to see it on the link.
    Which one is correct?
    many thanks.

Apple use a funny numbering system! As Sierra is the latest version, then I assume that you'd need the latest version of the driver, the one for OS 10.5.x to 10.9.x.

There aren't that many people on here trying to do what you are, with the TRX system and Hauptwerk, but if anyone can help you, they will. You might also get some help from the forum at www.psrtutiorial.com
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

1 members found this post helpful.
    Did you get this working?

I can't give specific advice for any of the items mentioned, but I would suggest you break down the steps.

1/ you need to install the USB driver so the Tyros is recognized by the Mac.

2/ verify MIDI is working using some other simple MIDI software. On Windows I use MidiOx to verify MIDI communications.

3/ configure Hauptwerk to see the Tyros.