Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to church in English cathedrals

fff Fortississimo davidecasteel's Avatar
    I call myself a "Liturgical Methodist" and I like a service rich with liturgy and with a short (10-15 min) sermon. Unfortunately, such a service is not what I get at my local UMC. There are Episcopal and Anglican churches fairly nearby, but I've been at my church for 36 years and would hate to leave all my friends. I've also invested both time and money in the church.

You have just experienced the type of worship that I crave.

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidecasteel View Post
    I call myself a "Liturgical Methodist" and I like a service rich with liturgy and with a short (10-15 min) sermon. Unfortunately, such a service is not what I get at my local UMC. There are Episcopal and Anglican churches fairly nearby, but I've been at my church for 36 years and would hate to leave all my friends. I've also invested both time and money in the church.

You have just experienced the type of worship that I crave.
    Me too. Evensongs are how I cope. I was Christened and raised in a United Methodist Church by Anglican parents who were new to the country and opted to go to the church around the corner rather than try to find one of the Denomination they were raised in. When I discovered on my own as a 20 something Anglican/Episcopal style worship, I was already the Organist and Music Director of my home church. You had better believe I gave my mother seven different kinds of h-e-double hockey sticks for not trying harder to find an Anglican parish near home! I would grab a quick lunch after playing for my church in Brooklyn and ride the train into mid-town and catch the Evensong at St. Thomas 5th Avenue almost every Sunday. They livestream them now David... the 10:00am Eucharists too, just saying...

Amen John! You have experienced something unique that should be far more commonplace. I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school and I was up there on the altar assisting in most aspects of the church service. Sadly my kids are ushered out of the Presbyterian service before the Gospel reading. Today I was proud to have my eldest on the altar with me turning pages and pulling stops and hitting the all too inconvenient zimblestern switch for the last verse. She was even placed in charge of the Bishop's water glass! Made for a good father's day.

I hope to someday make it to England myself. It is one of my dreams. Thanks for the wonderful descriptive.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    ALLEN 305B
    Three Manual VPO project
    3 Reed Organs

fff Fortississimo Menschenstimme's Avatar
    Hi John - what a wonderful experience to attend high church in an English cathedral !

I am an RC and thus am very curious regarding the ratio of English to Latin in a high-church English cathedral solemn liturgy ?

Thank you !

Hi, gosh I didn't see this. Glad you love the country.

Person above: I'm not sure about the Catholic cathedrals, but Anglican cathedrals hold their services entirely in English. If you're in Wales it will be a bilingual service with some parts spoken in Welsh.

St Paul's Cathedral is murder is all I can say - it has a massive echo that lasts for over 13 seconds. I believe you would have had a much better experience at Westminster Abbey where my friend was Organ Scholar. Also hope you visited Liverpool Cathedral, OP - has currently the largest organ in the UK, competing with St Paul's. The remote console is on display during visiting hours. The reed quality is a little disappointing though; to achieve the typical French sound you need to draw on the 20 rank Grand Chorus which quite frankly... is a bit much. Liverpool's echo also just comes shy of St Paul's.

Menschenstimme, the post above answers your question, I think. At least at St. Paul's and at York Minster the liturgy is all in English, though the choral parts of Evensong were partly in Latin (the program had the Latin words and the English equivalents printed side by side). Some of the churches that I have toured but haven't attended for services, say that they are "Anglo-Catholic" and they call their services the "Mass." I saw one today with the high altar firmly against the wall, so I assume the priest must stand with his back to the people at times. Not sure just how Catholic-like the services actually are in these type Anglican churches. But the services are surely conducted in English, per the Book of Common Prayer.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Rodgers 580 "Cheetah" organ with custom 6-channel speaker system
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12