Thread: Newbie with 2 Reed Organs

Newbie with 2 Reed Organs

Good afternoon!
    Some time ago my father bought 2 reed organs at an auction and brought them home and put them in the barn. He has decided to clean up and was going to carry the organs back to be auctioned off. For whatever reason, I started reading on the internet about reed organs was fascinated by how they work. Anyway, now they are at my shop and I have looked at the older one and found tears in the bellows cloth and a broken pedal strap. I have watched videos and read all I can find about bellows repair and am about to order supplies. I happened across this forum and thought it would be a good idea to join as I am sure that I will get hung up at some point and need help from an expert. The first organ has no Mfg name on it anywhere I can find and has a tag inside that says Style No. 30, Action No. 108099. I assume that 108099 is the serial number as it is stenciled on the back of the organ. I have not looked at the second organ yet. Anyway, I would like to save the first organ as it has character. I will post pictures when allowed and am anxious to see how this turns out. I have restored cars, jeeps, and tractors but this is a new venture for me!

Tonight I found the Mfg name. Jansen & Joosten. Flanagan, Ill. Anyone ever hear of them? Serial # 108099

Hi Kirk and welcome to the Forum!

Glad that you have taken a liking to this fascinating hobby of reviving the old ones. You will not be sorry, especially if you have restored other things already. The reed organ is a distinct breed of musical instrument and given the ingenuity of design and the way the old folk made do with wood, brass and pieces of wire one wonders that they make music at all! But when the bug has bit, it has bit and a good thing it is too!

Enjoy fiddling and fondling these beautiful instruments and please do post some pictures when you can.

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

My 2 Organs

Here are pictures of the organs I rescued. The first one is a Jansen & Joosten, Flanagan, Ill and the second is a Jones & Co, Bristol. The Jones & Co seems newer and it still makes sound. The Bellows are still whole but a key is stuck open somewhere. I will get to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kirk,

Nicer looking instruments. Welcome to the Forum.

Have you tried looking at the Reed Organ Society's Database: http://www.reedsoc.org/Database/ROSIntro.asp? You may find out more information there. I haven't had time to restore my reed organs, but hope to in retirement. I hope the link gets you started.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 4 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony)
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos